Trumpet Caroling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 11thchair, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    This year my church had a Christmas Eve Eve service (Dec 23rd). My wife came up with the idea of setting up a couple of trumpets outside the church building and playing carols as people were entering.

It was well excepted. People were a little confused thinking that they were late - or maybe the roof caved in. But they enjoyed hearing the songs as they got out of their cars and walked in.

I did have someone leave a $0.25 tip on my stand. I think it was the drummer.

Maybe an idea for others next year.

2. 11thchair

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    BTW - Merry Christmas to all!

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the idea.

Mike

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To my knowledge now, for 3 years following the Cantatas on Christmas eve held by the churches here in Jackson NC there has been a caroling at the Courthouse gazebo. The 4 boys I'm tutoring their second year on trumpet performed a 4 part rendition of O Little Town of Bethlehem this year. They had performed it earlier at a school assembly before the schools let out for the holiday. IMO, both times they were great. Earlier yesterday, from our front porch "stage" I was playing carols for my neighbors and a few who passed by.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not Trumpet Caroling, but our quintet was playing at Little E's in Pittsburgh Saturday the 22nd. I noticed Santa Claus was sitting at the bar from the second to third set. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Well into the third set, a waitress brought up a napkin with a request written on it saying "Play Nuttville" and with it was a $35 tip. As we were into the piano solo of the current song we were playing, I went into my bag, pulled out Real Book II, and turned to Nuttville (C instrument) and I placed it on the stand. After the song ended, I told Eddie we had a request for Nuttville and a $35 payment for the tune. He said let’s play Nuttville, and we proceeded to read off the "comunal" C Part stand. No sooner did we start the rhythm vamp for Nuttville, as we all noticed that Santa had come up on stage to join us with a portable keyboard he played with a tube device that inserted in his mouth. Wow... did he cook. We even gave Santa an improve solo during the song.

Turns out, Santa was the President of the Pittsburgh Jazz Society, and is a keyboardist that plays regularly around Pittsburgh. He loved the band. He wanted to know when were next back in town and was going to bring the man that books the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival to hear the band, with the hope of him booking us for the festival.

So to all... There is a Santa, he plays a mouth piano, is a major jazz influence in Pittsburgh, and is the man to know for a potential booking at the Pittsburgh Jazz Festival.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I grew up playing every Christmas Eve like such and really miss it now. Have about done everything other than hit the choir director in the head suggesting it, but thus far no luck. Hey, couldn't have been the drummer that left the quarter. Way to expensive for a drummer.:-)

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Merry Christmas to you, too. That's a cool thing to do. We need to find more opportunities to play brass outside during the Christmas season. It is unexpected, but enjoyed by most who hear Christmas carols on brass - sort of fits the occasion. I arranged to play cornet at a SA kettle for a few nights before Christmas (along with the local SA commander on baritone), and it was very well received. My wife sneaked by one of the nights and took a picture...

[​IMG]

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Our little group gets outside at least two or three times by the SA kettle. The bell ringers keep time as best as they know how. The shoppers go past an give us the thumbs-up and hopefully an extra quarter or two in the slot. This year I missed both performances so I went solo on saturday afternoon for an hour and a half. I got good and cold but it got those Pesky Christmas Songs out of my system till next year! Best wishes.

9. 11thchair

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Glad to see that you accompany the bell ringers. That is something I have wanted to do - but end up traveling most of December.

10. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    11th chair,

Each year I organise carolling for my band. It is not a formal arrangement as people are very very busy at this time of the year as well as the bands formal gigs. I use 2 sets of carol music. One set (Ed Wilson arrangements) for when the group includes beginners or those who are not comfortable with playing in a variety of keys, and a 2nd set of music (Salvation Army Carols) when I have a more experienced combination.
    We play every Saturday morning down the street in December. We also play during the week in neighbourhoods where there are christmas light displays who are also collecting for a charity.
    We are also available to help out with Christmas Carol Events in smaller surrounding towns. This year we helped out at Temora, which is about 150 Kms away. Wagga Wagga band also helped.
    Having the 2 sets of music is a real bonus. Being able to include beginners is the key to caroling success. We also have a very good singer. Sometimes we only have 3 or 4players but it works. This was a light Chrsitmas for us and we payed 12 times.