Trumpet Caroling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 11thchair, Dec 25, 2012.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    That's where a P-Bone would come in handy.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know what you've in your pockets ... and too it depends on the whim of the Chief Judge. I have attended a wedding in a Courtroom where a keyboardist played the wedding march, but it was after the normal Court sessions, and the bride was the Chief Judge's secretary and he married her to another Judge.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Not much change any more:roll::lol: I usually have to remember about my multi-tool as well.........:roll::oops:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Depending on the screening technology, coins and keys usually aren't a problem, but my Barlow pocket pen knife is, as is some, but not all, nail clips. I usually get whopped by TSA on all the metal I've implanted from surgery. One of these days, I'm expecting a lawsuit against TSA and Homeland Security Administration for violation of the the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), only magnitudinally increased with war casualtys. Certainly we've seen the demise of metal arches and rapid lace eyelets and platform shoes with these travel and institutional security concerns.

5. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I was thinking shopping mall or train station or?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Really, in both you need the consent of the management. In a train station, bus station or airport such may be deemed interference with transportation whereas they utilize public address systems to call passengers to their planes, buses, and trains.

Actually, the parking lots of malls are not a viable venue either, as they are still controlled/governed by the mall management.

Subway stations are out also whereas they are government property as steps on the threshhold of litigation re separation of government and church here in the U.S.

How then did we skirt the application of such legality for our community caroling on Courthouse property. I only found out recently that we leased it from the Court for three days at a token fee for the entire time. One day to set up, one day to perform, and the last day to remove our set-up. I didn't notice the posting of the lease, but I'm told it had been posted for public purvue.

7. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    We sometimes stand behind the Salvation Army while they are doing their Christmas street ministry. The other thing is we simply go to the mainstreet find somewhere where don't impede pedestrians and play. Since we don't collect money we are not violating the towns anti busking laws.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh, the days of the Christmas holidays when ensembles from our high school band would be at several locations in my home time supporting the Salvation Army kettles. I don't see them much any more, expecially in this rural town. IMO collections went downhill when they went to the little kettles and did not have real uniformed Salvation Army personnel attending them. It was a real 30 gallon cast iron kettle in front of the Post Office then, and I've seen it nearly full. That's the way for us all to play at Christmas.

9. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I'm thinking that I have never seen uniformed SA personnel at the kettles.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I believe the last uniformed member of SA I saw attending a kettle was in 1949 and we had an SA Center in my home town. However, I've seen uniformed SA personnel in various circumstances and places around the world since ... AND THEY DIDN'T CHARGE THE MILITARY FOR COFFEE AND A DONUT OR COOKIE.