Trumpet Caroling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 11thchair, Dec 25, 2012.

1. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    When I worked at a truck stop I never charged emergency personnel (police, fire, etc) for coffee. Some insisted on it. When I did a brief stint filling in for an assistant manager for another site, it was close to a military base, and started doing the same thing for buses full of soldiers on training breaks, until one of the DI's requested that I charge them.

Times change, I suppose.

I am thinking about doing this next year though. I'm probably going to want to pick up a Kelley mouthpiece beforehand.

2. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Must be a difference between the USA and Australia. I have only seen uniformed Salvation Army with the kettle. Probably a different attitude to wearing thevSalvation Army Uniform.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of the bell ringers at the SA kettles around here are volunteers, not SA personnel. The SA commander I played cornet with may have been in uniform, but he was wearing a parka due to the cold, so I couldn't say for sure.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale, The commander wore requisite black trousers, white shirt and tie, however if he was that cold, he could have had on a uniform hat. Of course back when SA officers had uniform trench coats or overcoats and wore scarves because it was really cold. That wasn't a parka he was wearing IMO, not hardly more than a hooded windbreaker. You didn't look that cold either.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, you're right - it wasn't a parka. He started out the night with a watch cap, but took it off. It wasn't too cold that night, probably mid to upper 30's and no wind. The night before was worse - right around 30 and really windy. It was a neat thing to do, though, and I hope to do it again next year.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I did see some volunteers for 2 hours at the kettle outside both the entrances of WalMart in Roanoke Rapids . Jackson NC is served by SA in Henderson NC, approx 50 miles West on US 158. Also approximately 50 miles South on US 301 there is one in Rocky Mount NC. Still, in Jackson we've a very nice caroling at the Courhouse gazebo on Christmas eve when the Cantatas at the churches let out. (All the Churches in Jackson are within walking distance for healthy people). On my good days I could walk from our home to our church and from there to the gazebo and afterward walk back home. If I had an intrument with me, it would be in my rolly basket.

We've had rain all day and snow is forecast here in the next hour, with morning temp of 18 F, I'm expecting some very slippery roads.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013