Trumpet Case Question

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Anonymous, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    All right friends. I own a Quad Case that I like very much. The only problem is the clasps for the shoulder strap and backpack are made out of plastic. They seem very fragile and I would like to switch these out to metal clasps.

What is the correct term for this. Are they called clasps?

Where could I find something like this. I was thinking I might have to find some kind of cheap bag that uses metal clasps (doesn't have to be an insturment case and just sacrafice the bag for the clasps.)

Any ideas.

I don't like carying around thousands of dollars worth of trumpets being held up by a plastic clasp.

Thanks!

TM

B15M likes this.
  2. Cornet

Cornet New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    TM,

Take it to a saddlery (I assume they're called that in the US - where horse types get their gear fixed!) and get them to fit good quality fittings to it. Many good shoe repairers can probably do the same type of work. If needs be they can beef-up the attachment points to the bag as well.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Cornet is correct on this one, TM. Get thee to a leatherworker (shoe repair may have what you need too) and pick up some good, solid metal buckles. If your straps are nylon you can sew the buckles on yourself; leather is more difficult. Otherwise just ask the nice shoe repairperson to stitch them onto the straps after removing the plastic ones.

Out here in the West we call 'em "Saddle Makers" and any decent sized town in cattle country will have one. Seems like any spring or fall when I drive up into the mountains I run into herds of cows being "wrangled" out or back from the summer leases; and they do use cowboys.

OK...time to mooooove along now. Have a great day, pardners.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Metal is good, but the quality plastic strap-locks such as those used on the best backpacks are very reliable. My BAM case came with plastic connectors and they seem more secure than the metal on either my Reunion Blues bag or the Stomvi case I have on loan with metal connectors.

I wouldn't be too quick to damn plastic just because it's not metal.

Dave

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for the help. I have nothing against plastic but these clasps are cheap crap. When I have this bag on my back the plastic is so cheap the bags has almost fallen of several times because the plastc has bent!

TM

PS woops put this one in the wrong room. Off the the gear section