Trumpet cases for multiple horns

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by WAKeele, Feb 11, 2005.

1. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    Here's a question for those that have too many dang horns!

Mr. Laureano,

I've been keeping an eye out for reasonably priced quad cases and thought to myself, "do I really need one".

Here's my situation: I have 9 1/2 horns (Eb/D counting as 1 1/2) in one place. My oldest cornet doesn't have a home and I have too many single cases. I have a Reunion Blues small triple that houses my Bb & C most of the time with some mutes and other odds & ins. I have a Bach double that currently housing a Schilke G1-L and a New York Bach cornet. The rest are in single cases. A Stomvi Eb/D (standard size case), a Schilke P5-4 (small case), a Dotzauer rotary C (small case), and a Yamaha rotary Bb (in a ridiculously large case). And that leaves my 120 year old cornet sitting on my desk in my apartment.

I'd like to reduce the surplus case population in my locker at school and my apartment. How do you handle a situation like this since I imagine your have a fair share of horns? What are your recommendations on the different makers of cases?

It seems like a Wiseman quad would be great for me because of it's size but I don't want to sell a horn to get one! I don't have a need to carry around more than two at a time so this would be mainly for storage and when I take a trip somewhere and the "family" needs to come with me.

I'm sure the rest of the trumpet world would greatly enjoy your take on multiple trumpets and cases as much as I would. Thank you for your valuable time!

--William

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Andrew,

I don't use quad cases! I don't even have a triple case that I use for my horns.

When I went to Oklahoma City last year to play a recital, I went to a camera store and made my own custom case that was strong enough to put under the belly of the plane and tight enough on the inside to keep my horns from moving a millimeter.

I went through the soft case thing and never again! I had several horns that had to have the bells straightened because of those bloody things. I absolutely do not put my Monettes in multi-horn soft cases.

I doubt that helped but that's my experience of recent years.

ML

3. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    It's sure does. That's not a bad idea at all! Thanks! By the way, who's Andrew :?:

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    WHOOPS!

Sorry' bout that, William... .javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

ML

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I've got a Pro-Tec quad that I use for storage. It works well for that, but it's really cumbersome to drag around anywhere. I use an Alteari bag most of the time and I've never damaged anthing (because it's on my back and not agaist my hip banging on door jams and stuff). A jacket hook and a couple of good screws will provide a great way to get that cornet off your desk! Decorative too... (Seriously, it works great!)

6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    You may try a Pelican case. I think that may be what Mr. Laureano is referring to. Photographers have used these for years. They are cases made of a unbreakable resin polymer stuff. They are water-tight, extremely strong, and yes, they even float! Best of all, Pelican cases are fairly inexpensive. You can find them on eBay for under $150 new. I've been meaning to get one and try it myself. You simply customize the foam on the inside to fit whatever you want to carry.

http://pelican.com/cases/cases.html

You might want to look under their large cases, and then the model 1600. It seems that one may work well for multiple horns.

7. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    Oh yeah, these cases are awesome! We used these for a lot of stuff in the Air Force. Geez, never crossed my mind to make a trumpet case out of them. The gears are now turning...

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I use a Bach quad case. Maybe I shouldn't but I put 4 Monettes in there.

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not if they knock around a lot! Or even a little.

ML

10. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I use the Marcus Bona Quad case and really love it. I was hesitant at first but I go down to visit my finaces family in Texas so it has been nice to be able to take my horns down so I can practice and maybe get a small gig or two while I'm at it.
    Adam Metzler