trumpet cases

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetman567, Feb 13, 2005.

1. trumpetman567

trumpetman567 New Friend

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey i have a Yahama Allegro trumpet and the trumpet is great but the case is falling apart ( 2 many band trips) i was wonderin what kind of case u guys would think is good i need a compartment 4 music 2 thanks guys

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    i would reccomend Ritter, Altieri, ProTec, i personally use a ritter triple right now and i love it.

3. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2005
    Dude
    Look up Brass Bags on google. They are great bags and have room for music.
    HD

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    But they offer almost no protection. If need a quad case I think it must be the smallest quad around!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In my opinion, ProTec cases are about as good as you can get for a good combination of protection, features and price. I have a double combination case (trumpet flugel) that has places for 4 mouthpieces, protects the horns well, and has a massive side pouch that has internal compartments.

There are times that I have had 9V batteries, two kinds of valve oil, a mouthpiece pouch, pencils, my tuner, a lyre, and any other number of trumpet related things, plus a 1 inch 3-ring binder full of my gig music, and it all fit with room to spare. You might not get quite that much room with in the side pouch with just a 2 trumpet case, but the side pouch will certainly have a lot of room nonetheless.

I prefer that combo case over my all leather Reunion Blues tripple trumpet bag. The horns fit better, there is more room for music and gear, plus it protects better. The best part about ProTec cases is the price. They are very affordable and even though they have a reputation for not holding up well, I've used mine almost constantly for just over 2 years and mine is still in great shape.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Cases are more of a subject than some give thought to.

Lightweight cases give moderate protection
    Medium weight cases give good protection
    Heavy cases give great protection

You have to consider how much protection you want vs. how much weight you want to carry.

For example, the Altieri cases provide good protection and are very light. But they are gig bags and would not hold up very well traveling, etc.

Pro Tec makes an excellent medium weight case with somewhat rigid sides. Very good protection, moderate weight. Still shouldn't take it on a plane.

Torpedo bags are fantastic protection, but are pretty heavy.

There are many other examples too. But basically those are the factors. Now if you want lightweight and great protection, it can be found for a price. For example, Marcus Bonna makes a terrific soft case that is very protective and lightweight. But it costs big bucks.

WolfPak cases are another example of a good weight to protection case .. that cost a bit more.

If you want bulletproof, a Walt Johnson case is the way to go. Not too heavy, but also pricey.

Before anyone buys a case, they should consider:

weight vs. protection
    and how much you are willing to spend.

Probably the best value on the market is a Pro Tec case or a Galaxy case by Humes & Berg. I simply love my Altieri bag.

Pro Tec does make a very nice case with a music slot:

[​IMG]

Jim

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    While it is true that Brass Bags aren't the most secure cases, my quad is the best case I have ever owned. They are remarkabley light and compact. If you are really worried about it, you can order hard plastic inserts for the case. But, I am fairly carefull. I would not recommend this case to a younger player (high school or less) though.

8. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Marcus Bonna flightcases. Relatively inexpensive, lightweight, durable, and extremely protective - I've checked my quad case with all 4 horns at the gate with no problems. Good luck getting one though.

For a younger player though.... get something simple and cheap, unless you're serious about continuing to play the trumpet. Then you can get a great case now to fit (a) proline horn(s) later.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Torpedo Bag. The newer ones have a detachable, full size music pouch as well as the humongous mute pouch. They appear to be made from an 8" diameter piece of plastic drain tubing with rip-stop nylon exterior (leather is rumoured to be in the works), and a very well padded interior "cradle". You can sit on them (ie, use them for a seat while waiting for the bus)! Backpack straps and virtually indestructible. Mine is now two years old and there isn't a mark on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    If you need to carry just one horn, and want fantastic protection at a reasonable price, the Torpedo Bag cannot be beat. I actually sell quite a few of them. 8 lbs is about twice as heavy as a Pro Tec case and an Altieri single bag weighs about 1 lb.

The Torpedo Bag is back-packable, will take 400 pounds of pressure, and will provide great protection for about $150.

Jim