Trumpet Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Dec 15, 2013.

1. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    Do any of you take your horns in for a professional cleaning or just do it yourself? Can a shop do anything that I cannot?

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    i often take a newly acquired used horn in for a chem clean, replacement of wear parts, and alignment check. My tech can get it really clean and do any repairs I want done as well. I have done this with my last couple used instruments. Now my Strad, which had been used very little, has not had this sort of treatment; it just did not seem necessary.
    Jim

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The rotaries go to the shop yearly for clean and service.

My pistons will only go to the tech if I have a ding or something stuck - like a slide, or too loose (main slide slipping etc).
    Cleaning is normally done by me, but while in the shop a chemical clean usually is done. Valve alignment check is done by me (thanks Stumac for the mirror), but a Tech will make the adjustments.

Hard to blame equipment if it is not maintained.

BTW the second half of your question Can c do what you cannot> Yes. Sonic and chemical clean would be a easy job for them, and the equipment used by techie to pull slides, expand a sleeve etc. Good techs should be good friends...

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I always clean my trumpet at home with a Q-tip and Yamaha Brass Soap.
    It does have a few dents here and there, maybe it's about time I take it to the shop.

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    clean monthly at home and annually get pro cleaned at tech

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think us trumpeters have it easy in that our instruments are fairly easy to clean and maintain, and don't really need much in the way of servicing. In the 30+ years I've played, I've had a horn professionally cleaned maybe twice, and that was only because it was something I added in when I had to take a horn in for a repair, and even with that, I've rarely had to take a horn in for a repair. I think I've had to have a horn worked on a few times out of necessity (and one of those was as much a cosmetic thing as anything else) and another time because I wanted to get a horn cleaned up because I was going to give it to my niece.

I pretty much just get by with a mouthpiece brush, a valve casing brush, a snake and a valve casing swabbing rod. Every month-ish I give the horn a once-over. It's mostly to keep buildup off of the valves and out of the valve casings, and to keep the mouthpiece shank, leadpipe and tuning slide clear - I brush out the rest, but there's never a discernable amount of buildup in any of the rest of the horn.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Follow Patrick's advice and you will only need a tech for repairs and restoration work.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My thinking is that about half the instruments that are played are in the hands and at the lips of students, very few which I believe are responsible enough to have the regimen and acumen to properly clean an instrument. This includes college performance majors IMO!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ed, I know semi-pro players who don't clean their horns on a regular basis, and in a couple of one-off instances where I borrowed a horn, or took someone else's horn for a test spin, it's been alarming to me just how dirty some of those horns have been.

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    trickg,
    Is this what you mean by casing swab?
    Valve Casing Cleaner Tool for Trumpet Cornet Flugelhorn Baritone Euphonium | eBay