Trumpet Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deano56, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    It is positively stupid!

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I made it to 1:36 and just couldn't take it! He should be BEAT by the horn he just ruined!

4. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Best gizmo I found for giving a trumpet a bath...is a long, rectangular plastic window flower pot (like would go out on a deck). IF it has holes in the bottom...epoxy or silicon to seal them. But its a bit longer than any trumpet...is about 7-8 inches deep and allows the horn to just rest in the bath and soak...nothing to ding the horn or scratch it. cheap, but very effective. - dizzyizzy

5. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    This may be very true. However, my warhorse of an elementary school band teacher taught us how to clean our trumpets and cornets. He would lend me his snake every few months and I would clean my Getzen up. I don't know what the heck I ate as a kid, but the green stuff that came out of that horn... wow! And even as a 5th grader, I could tell it played a lot better afterward.

As a side note, he also showed us how to work creases back to shape using a drum stick (sort of like a rolling pin). I actually had to do that a few years later to my brand new Olds Special after I bent the bell when I whacked the corner of my case reaching for valve oil.

I doubt many band teachers teach that stuff any more.
    -John

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    John, I concur, although I was likewise taught by my instructor. Then, it was do so regularly or not be in band class much longer ... when one's instrument didn't function properly ... and during WWII you were very lucky to even have an instrument as they were strategic metals.
    Too, I was extremely lucky to have an available tech who was 4F classified and unable to be drafted into the armed services. We then pulled Fuller brushes on cords through our instruments, but it was difficult to thread the cord.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Post construction valves shouldn't need lapping, but I have worked dry valves (fingering 0-123 while watching professional wrestling on TV) on new horns.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  9. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    Nice horn in that link above, what kind is it?