Trumpet collection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jon_stone, Feb 8, 2009.

1. jon_stone

jon_stone New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Worcester UK
    Hi guys, I'm new to this site. I live in UK and have been playing jazz trumpet since I was 15, now 72. I have a collection of horns that, at my age, I need to think about selling. There won't be room in that box! Selmer Balanced, Olds Recording, Phaeton (graphite finish), 1933 Besson Imperial (silver), Conrad Gozzo Autographed (re-lacquered gold), silver Getzen valve trombone, and some others. Has anyone any idea of the best way to sell these? It seems eBay has been taken over by cheap crap. Does anyone want classic, quality instruments still? Jonno

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I think I got most of my good horns on ebay, just need to deal with good sellers/buyers.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I only buy vintqage horns but currently being on unemployment has my buying low end vintage instruments and fixer upper's. Now if you wanted to put me or my three boys in your will that Selmer ballanced and Olds Recording sound like they would fit in nicely in my home. LOL Trust me I know that Ebay in the USA would snatch those trumpets up even with shiping being in the $63 range and up.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would put them on Ebay and have a reserve so that I might get close to what I wanted for each.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    There are different ways of selling on ebay. try a fixed price and take best offers if your not in a hurry for money. Also let other trumpeters know about it via trumpet web sites like this one. You might also, if you live in a larger more musical city try Craigslist or get a local shop to sell by consignment.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, Instruments of that vintage and make and model should definately have a reserve and I would not expect to see them listed any other way to be honest. I absolutely love just about everything Olds ahs ever made and a lot of people on Ebay seem to agree with me since they always sell high and fast for anything above the Ambasador. Those Vintage Paris Selmer's like the K Modified also draw quite a price they often sell for $1200 to $2000 if they are in great shape. I can not imagine those horns not selling well on Ebay.UK or one of the other European Ebay's!!! Old American made trumpets are just as sought after now globaly as ever. It could be a matter of timeing. Is the UK ecconomy in a slump right now if it is that would explain it. People tend to hold to their cash when they are worried about job's or inflation etc.....So cheaper models would experince a spike in sales with the expectation that once things pick up they would get the kid or themselfs a nicer trumpet etc.....