Trumpet Collection

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Sep 3, 2010.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi there again everyone! I am a beginner comeback player, and trumpets fascinate me! Not just playing the horn , which I am enthralled with, but also the design and build of them. Would anyone care to share some of their trumpet eye candy with me? I know lots of you have nice collections. If your interested I would love to see and hear a little bit about them. I'm considering just starting to snatch up horns so I can feel how different ones play and sound. As well as really take a close look at how they are constructed. I wish to educate myself, I want to bathe in brass! *metaphorically speaking, ouch!*

2. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi, schleiman

You are not alone; drooling over horns is a widespread obsession here. So much so that there is already a very long thread dedicated to just that. Go to the 'vintage trumpets/cornets' section of the forums, and you'll see 'vintage horn eye candy' called out at the top of the list.

If brand new horns are more your style, you may have to search around a bit, but there is no shortage of material.
    Enjoy,

- Steve-o

3. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hey thanks! And as I have a 60's Leblanc, I am VERY interested in vintage horns!

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Careful, schleiman! There is a serious condition known as the N+1 virus, which can be transmitted by simply reading posts here at TM. Once affected, you may be incurable.

I began my comeback only 4 years ago, with a single horn. I now have over 20!

5. belgianmav@yahoo.com

[email protected] New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    Hi! I'm new to the forum and need advice. I'm debating getting either a Bach Strad 37 ML Bore or a Martin committee w/ serial # starting 9962XX. Both in great condition. I don't like to be 'on in a million' and it seems the Strad is so 'standard' that I'm bored w/ the idea of having one. But I don't want to sacrifice quality for getting something a tad bit different. Anyone have a suggestion? I don't know how to tell the age of a trumpet based on the serial number.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --------
    Hello and welcome!
    The Martin is of a newer variety. Vintage Martins like Miles Davis played are pre-1960. There are some literature sites that suggest that Martin Committees went down hill after that time. 9962XX should be well past 1960 since my Martin Committee is 157XX and is from around 1953.
    The Bach Strad ML 37 is a trumpet I also use and is a fine trumpet and is arguablly one of the best "off the rack" trumpets on the market. If memory serves me correctly, some symphonies only allow Bach trumpets to be used.
    What would I do?
    Ask myself, "Are these the only two choices I have?"
    It appears you live in Europe (belgian?) and even if you don't, Check out Hub Van Laar trumpets. I've heard people slam every brand of trumpet. However, I've heard nothing bad about them and that is rare. People who own them say they are super great trumpets
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. belgianmav@yahoo.com

Sep 3, 2010
    Thank you! That did help! That's what I was afraid of, was the 'year' it was made and not knowing the correlation with the serial number scale, it really made it a crap shoot. So, I did decide against that Martin Committe. I might just get a Bach for now--i haven't played in 15 years, so I actually might want to blend in for a while. Then as my skills come back, then get something to draw attn. I hate for people to say, "wow, she's got the trumpet, but not the chops!" haha

I actually don't live in Europe; the 'belgianmav' is a group name I have for a dog yahoo group for Belgian Sheepdogs and my dog's name is Maverick, thus "mav". :) But I did look up that brand of trumpet you suggested. Thank you!
    Kris

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If you go through the vintage eye candy thread, stay away from EBAY, could cause a big dent in your wallet/marriage... :-?

9. belgianmav@yahoo.com

Sep 3, 2010
    LOL! Thanks for the warning! :)

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The problem is that A.N.A. Mendez forgot to warn me:-(. Now, after only a year, I have HUGE dents in both.:shhh: