Trumpet Condition O.C.D.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ReidM, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    How are we, folks? Well, I am getting a Professional XENO (833GRGS) for Christmas and I must admit, I am going to go Obsessive Compulsive Disorder all over this trumpet. I am that person that respects other people and their items to a very high extent. I am constantly making sure my items are in excellent edition and clean. Well, this is my first brand new trumpet. I do not want fingerprints to get on it! I am going to wear my new Drum Corps gloves while I play it over the break, but come time for concert season, I will have to touch it. :( Any advice on how to not, really, get fingerprints on it. And, if I do, which will happen, how to remove the smudge? Thanks!

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I keep a valve guard on my horns and put a tack cloth on my left hand so Im never really touching the metal. This works great and Ive done this for years. My hands sweat a lot so I needed to do something to protect the finish. Best wishes.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I agree with Larry. Get a valve guard. The cloth may be a little excessive but if you really want it so be it. I would just get a valve guard and wipe it down after every use. The glove may have sweat and other grime stuff that may be worse than your hand on the horn.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ReidM,
    congrats on the new horn!!!! -- I would offer suggestions, as I have done all of the above years ago when I was younger --- but I am old, and less OCD on my horns, realizing that a well played horn will get smudges on it, it may get tarnished, but in reality it is the MUSIC that comes out that everyone is really after --- BUT to look cool (put some shades on yourself), and have a shiny horn is all good!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I disagree on the valve guard. ALL IT TAKES is one grain of sand to get in there and BAD things happen. Sweat and smudges can and should be wiped off. Scratches can't be wiped off. I know you are excited about your new horn, but slow down take a few deep breaths and relax. Gloves are the way to go if you are really concerned and HAVE TO have something between you and the horn. If my hands didn't sweat sooooo much, I would use nothing. O.C.D. is an anxiety DISORDER! It's not good and you are setting yourself up for deep dark depression when that first mark gets on your horn. It's not a matter of if, but when this happens. The only way to not mess it up is to not touch it and leave it in the case. In 30 years you will have a vintage closet queen worth almost as much as it's original price.

6. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    Thanks, King! Well, I agree with you guys on Valve Guards. But, in a Wind Ensemble, don't you think that looks tacky or unprofessional to the audience? Larry, I would definitely do the cloth because of the way "my Trumpet OCD" takes me, but that would be looking rather funky in a concert. :) Okay, so I have the Xeno 8335RGS. The Yahama valve guards are sold out on WWBW. Any recommendations on top ones? And, I guess I put it on and then after I am done playing, just slap it on something to knock off items that stuck to it? I am buying the shades, King! ;)

toby: I am not too confident on getting a valve guard, either. I just do not think I would appreciate the appearance. I can see myself wearing gloves. I am going to be rather mad when I see that first smudge, but not too much I can do to stop that. I guess I can just take care of it the best I can. Can you articulate on this statement, "In 30 years you will have a vintage closet queen worth almost as much as it's original price." It did not make any sense to me. :S

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YEAH -- and be very very careful each month when the OP oils the valves and slides to keep them from freezing up in those 30 years!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    I am a gullible person; you are going to have to stop that! Hehe. I bought Ultra Pure products. They do not leave residues. When I go play Concert Etude in the Artic, though, I may have some freezing issues. :grouphug:

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would get a guard that fits good and that come off easy. If you get one that is a pain to get off then you will have the dirt and grime build up under the guard and eat the plate/lacquer. There is no way to stop the buildup, it just gets in. That is why I would just wipe it down after every use.

You have to understand that your trumpet will get scratches and parts that are not as shiny as the rest. The only way to prevent it is to not play it at all. I would use nothing except some clean gloves if you are that concerned.

10. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    With this information about grime getting under valve guards, and then having to clean it - well, it all just seems like another thing to add to the checklist. I think gloves would be the best option. And, then - come concert season, I will just use my naked hands (they are wearing cashmere sweaters right now). You are right, it is going to be subjected to the sources. I guess I just have to suck it up, and take it like a used tuba. And, besides - I have a two year warranty on the trumpet that covers wear & tear. Push comes to shove, I can do that. Well, time to go put my Big Boy Diapers on. Thanks for the advice, all! And, besides - I have a two year warranty on the trumpet that covers wear & tear. Push comes to shove, I can do thaNext question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? :D