Trumpet Condition O.C.D.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ReidM, Dec 19, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

ROFL

Are you in High School band? If so I would check with the band director about wearing gloves.

Think of the marks as trophy's. Showing that your horn is used and you like it.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here - let me try to articulate the point --- YOU can put the Xeno in a box, never use it, and it will be an awesome horn in 30 years. YOU can most likely get your original price out of it. "closet queen" -- means you put your "mistriss" - which is a term for the trumpet which takes all our time and devotion, into a closet --- where she is QUEEN, because you never touch her -- so she is QUEEN OF THE CLOSET ---AND THE WORST PART OF THIS IS THAT THE XENO NEVER GETS PLAYED, IT NEVER GETS HEARD, AND IT NEVER MAKES ANY MUSIC TO INSPIRE PEOPLE ---- cause you hid it away so it would not get a mark on it -----------there, hope that helps

3. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    She would say no, instantaneously.

I sure will! :play:

King - I get it, I get... Thanks. :oops:

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

What one player I know does is he uses a cloth (as was suggested earlier) in his left hand (and mine when I tried his horns)
    It seems to work pretty well. It protects the valve casing from the big offender

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Then just plan on having a cloth so you can wipe it down whenever you need to.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My point about the vintage horn in 30 years is that many posters on this forum are collectors of (mostly) high end horns like yours. We are always looking for something that is perfect and pristine. That generally means the horn was not played very much at all. I do own such a horn that was played and meticulously cleaned and then stored for the next 45 years. It's a Blessing Super Artist and it is one of the best horns ever made. It definitely is a closet queen. A valve guard is a waste of time and adds to your maintenance woes. I bought a Conn 60B that had a valve guard and the area with the most damage was under the valve guard. Once the damage is done, it's too late.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ReidM, go get help for your OCD (buy a trombone and then break it or something . ROFL ROFL ROFL) -- and by all means PLAY the XENO, let it live, let it play, let it be useful for the best music you can produce --- LET THE XENO have a history -- then later in life if you hand it down to the kids, or whatever --- the one mark you have, or a small dent --- YOU can tell the story --- I was Rocking it one concert on this XENO, giving the audience the most awesome trumpet playing they heard in their lives ------------ I was playing, and having fun, and I accidentally bumped into the sax player and got this mark -------BUT that was one of the most AWESOME NIGHTS THIS XENO and I ever played ---the mark is priceless, the horn is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hand a Xeno down to my kids? Heck, just because you said that, I am not going to have kids! That way I do not have to worry about handing this Xeno down! Shame on you talking about me passing this down :evil: No, I am joking.. not really. I will only pass it down if they buy me one heck of a Limited Edition Cookie. I do not even want to talk about how I have dents on this current 10 year old plus horn. Woo. Smore time. I guess I am just being overprotective. Mom would always buy my other trumpets (2) off Ebay and just randomly buy one, not let me have a say. Generally because it was a Christmas or Birthday present. But, as a matured musician, I made it clear I need to make the choice, even though I did in the past, but she still Ebay'd. It is just that feeling of having your very first brand new trumpet, and you want to cherish it and not let it look like it was used. Oh, well, I oughta go bump into a sax player.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    at this point in your young life --- at least make sure she is attractive ---make the bump rememorable, and worth while --- who knows maybe in 20 years you will have a story to tell your kids, as you hand down a XENO with one small dent in it, and SHE hands down her Selmer Saxophone with a small scratch on it --- HEY kids!, if we never bumped into each other 20 years ago ......................................... ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    There you go talking about "passing down the Xeno." :cool: Hey, if I bump into a hotty-toddy with a Sax, and I am holding that Xeno, there is no way in heaven's pancake crisp clouds that I am letting anyone else have that trumpet except Reid. ;)