Trumpet Condition O.C.D.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ReidM, Dec 19, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have never played one of those, but I want to.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you don't want fingerprints on the horn, you are treating it as jewelry, not the tool it was designed to be. Welcome to third class attitude. Real trumpeters are proud of what comes out the front. I suggest accepting good nough cosmetics and never good enough playing!

3. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Rowuk is right (as usual). However, this does not mean disregard the care of the horn. Wipe it off. Grease the slides. Oil the valves. Clean the inside on a regular basis. Take precautions not to bump it into things (or let things bump into it).

I have a 35 year old horn with no dents. Zero. Yes, it has some scratches. I've worn a lot of the silver off where my hands touch it when I'm playing. I've used it but never abused it. And it plays just as nicely today as it did when new (maybe better).

The first time you ding your horn (an you will) you'll be sick. Get over it and resolve not to do it again. Function is more important than looks.

Enjoy your horn. It's a nice one.

-John

4. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Take your Xeno, and a drumstick, and thwock a nice dent into the bell. That will take the NEW off and you get get down to the business of PLAYING. Your OCD will go into remission after you do this.

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had to clean my office today (wife's orders and Christmas is coming). I have one of those office mats designed to "protect the floor" from the chair. The vinyl tile under the mat is destroyed! The vinyl is delaminating. How can this be? I never "touched" the floor with the chair!! It was all the little pieces of dirt that had worked their way underneath. Veery715 has the best advise given so far ( including mine :shock:). ROFLROFL

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Congrats! Remember that a horn is a tool used to make music not a statue to be admired. Take good care of the horn and keep it clean but obsess over playing music not the horn itself. Better to have an ugly horn that sounds pretty than a pretty horn that makes ugly sounds.

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Did you remove the guard before storing it? Because I did that, and never had a problem. Otherwise, sweat just sits under it! Bach used to sell valve guard that were leather with no lining, and laced on! Bad move!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bought it used with the guard on it. Ugh! Took it of 1st thing. Cleaned the horn and polished it. IT IS ONE SWEEEEEET HORN. A glove is the only thing I will use if I use anything at all. Here's the other thing about the guard. IF you take it off and put it back on, there is just more opportunity to ding it/drop it while performing this procedure. I put on my glove,pickup the horn. Put away the horn, take off the glove. No extra handling. I've never seen a pro with one, sure there are some. But IMO, it is used by folks looking to avoid maintenance and protect the horn all in one fell swoop.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA