Trumpet Cornet - the Difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thought I'd put this one together. Some information (which is different to popular belief) and some opinion.

Cornet vs Trumpet

J. Jericho likes this.
  2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks for that, Ivan. You've cleared up a lot of conjecture with facts and explained the true differences between the two.

3. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Except that it doesn't, and it has nothing to do with the distance from the bell to the player's ear.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is the third consecutive blog you've posted that is some kind of BS. I don't know what it is, and I believe you mean well and are educated, and that leaves me confused.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Have you checked out Ivan's website Home ? He does have a bit more personal knowledge of trumpet construction than most trumpet players.

5. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    How could I not check his "home" as he doesn't just post the write-up here, he links directly to it which pops into a new tab. That's not sharing so much as pimping. Just since I've been here there have been two linked articles about the supposed failings of musical notation and now some misinformation about how a cornet sounds "brighter" than a trumpet. I find this hard to ignore, whatever someone knows about instrument construction. I don't make them, I play them.

6. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Apparently some irony in my writing has been misunderstood. Following the KISS principle, I have reworded one section.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I think most of us understood the irony. But the clarification can't hurt.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you for "ironying" out the irony for ironheads.
    Do you think the extra 360 degrees of turn is mostly responsible for the cornet difference in sound?
    I realize most of what we 'Mercans call "cornets" are not really what cornets originally were a hundred+ years back...but are almost clones of trumpets in design and sound now.
    What about the extra turns in a pocket trumpet?

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Very good question which I have been thinking about for some time. I do not know.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll add the there's a bit more "connicalness" on many cornets due to a stepped tuning slide (the slide diameter increases as you follow it downstream). The cornet also starts out smaller at the mouthpiece, since it tapers to a smaller diameter at its end.

If curves alone determined how an instrument sounds, then a pocket trumpet would be more mellow than a cornet, which isn't the case.