Trumpet Cornet - the Difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 31, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    So, shouldn't a cornet then be more flexible in terms of note bending than a trumpet if there is no gap? Doesn't the gap contribute to notchiness?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Ivan, there is a step/gap on the 184 receiver, too. I believe the 184 receiver is a different part number from the 181 receiver. I have an old 181 leadpipe and it's obvious from just looking at it that it's significantly larger at the receiver. The 184 leadpipe has a much more pronounced taper from the mouthpiece end to the tuning slide end. Contrary to popular belief, the 184 isn't just a 181 with an extra curve in the bell.

Probably hard to tell from this photo of mine, but compare the leadpipe diameter at the receiver with the diameter at the water key. The upper leg of the tuning slide is also larger diameter than the lower leg.

[​IMG]

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks Dale
    You are correct - the receivers are different.

181 receiver part number 31656 list price $16.45
    184 receiver part number 37059 list price $57.17

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A side note...I took a small rat-tail file and got rid of most of the internal step between the receiver and leadpipe. The gap with my cornet mouthpieces was huge (more than 1/4"), so I eliminated it since most cornets seem to do just fine with no step. Yes, I know that I shouldn't "attempt any repairs unless I have the appropriate technical proficiency" :lol: , but the cornet has a slightly easier upper register with it gone.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There was an article published somewhere not too terribly long ago - sometime within the last couple of years - that basically stated that other than the wrapping being different, there wasn't much different between the modern cornet and trumpet. This might be be - not sure - but it has some interesting charts listed.

Trumpet Schmumpet

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, I've seen that chart and essay many times. Here's what the chart leaves out...The real difference between a trumpet and cornet is not in the amount of conical vs. cylindrical tubing present, but how "conical" the conical tubing is. If a cornet starts out smaller at the receiver and has a fatter bell taper, it will generally be more mellow than the average trumpet, even though the amount of conical tubing may be the same on both instruments. Robb does address this in the body of the essay, and also makes a few other good points: The mouthpiece used matters (of course), the approach the player uses when playing either instrument makes a difference, and there are a lot of cornets that are built with basically the same components as their trumpet counterparts.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'd say that the most relevant factors are the mouthpiece we choose to get the sound we want out of each instrument, and our ability to color the timbre to our taste.

Other factors are emotional. These include our esthetic enjoyment of the different shapes of the instruments, and the visualization of the contextual use of the instrument, such as cornets and flugelhorns in brass bands, trumpets in orchestras, whether traditional or swing band. In jazz, anything goes, so trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn each have their place. For variety, Mnozil Brass is King.

8. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    This is nice to know for me, as a beginner who likes the "sound" of a trumpet and who apparently can someday get that sound with dropping any more money. I may someday get a cornet just to have it, but it's less important than I might have thought. (Although the fact that they are shorter does make them easier to hold up.)

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I wonder how much your approach to playing has an influence too. Even on a trumpet I still have a cornetty overtone to everything I play, I notice it and so do a lot of others, including the majority if the teachers I have had. Could this have more to do with my ear, my approach, style and by dint technique than whether my horn turns once two and a half times or whatever the cornet goes through (off hand I can't remember)

So say the variations on Vois tu la Neige Que Brille sound as though I am playing a cornet even on the 4335

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Andy, I think a player's approach has a lot to do with producing a cornet sound (read my post a couple above yours). Most long-time trumpet players pick up a cornet, stick a 3C mouthpiece in it, and conclude there's no difference between a trumpet and cornet. There is a difference, at least when talking about well-designed cornets. That difference is enhanced by mouthpiece choice and the approach to and style of playing - it's a different mindset. I've heard trumpet players who sounded a lot like they were playing a cornet, and part of it was how they played the instrument. It's all relative, though...if you have a really bright tone on trumpet, it will still be a bit bright on a cornet, especially if you don't compensate with a "cornetty" mouthpiece and different approach to playing it.