Trumpet = direct

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Since getting my first horn, I've been trying to work out what's so obviously different about playing trumpet to other instruments, and the word direct seems to apply the most. From the moment I started getting any sound at all out it, it was apparent. There is nothing between the player and the making of the sound except the trumpet itself. It's very pure, primitive in that aspect but also a very refined sound. For me, this is a very fascinating aspect of brass instrumentation in general. Just wanted to share.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Only singing is more direct...

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And that is why every trumpet player should do some singing as well - irrespective of voice. It's the best training for breathing and melody.

4. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Not every trumpet player sounds as good singing. Some shouldn't sing at all. Just speaking from personal experience :D

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'll second that one,Jimmy. I can't carry a tune with my voice in a double bottomed bucket:roll::lol::dontknow::oops:

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    To use a gun anology, trumpet=rifle, cornet=shotgun(sound spreads like a charge of shot pellets).:oops:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Considering the source: Like Buck Shot?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    trumpet = Howitzer or was that keyboard = Wurlitzer? ---- why do they say the Ambassador trumpet is like a "tank"? ---- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As our lips are the "motor", trumpet is as direct as singing.

The sound of the trumpet does not mean that there is only projection and aggressive force. The other side of the coin comes to those that stick with it long enough to realise that the trumpet can be caressed too.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    A Humanitone is more direct.
    So is a recorder.
    Not as much fun...but less instrument between mouth and bell. In the case of the Humanitone, the sinus and oral cavities ARE the resonant chamber.
    OH! Don't forget the didgeridoo. Nothing but a raw tube and some spit between you and the world. ..and that's the way it should be, isn't it?

Jew's harp.
    Just sayin'.