Trumpet = direct

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Oct 11, 2014.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I caress my guitar. My trumpet is a dominatrix.

2. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Don't forget classical guitar. There is nothing between the player and the sound. The strings are plucked with the fingers.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well, I could "harp" more...
    Not only is there little between a harp and the harpist...the blasted thing is squarely between the player's LEGS. Pop a string on one and you would be "HARPooned".

4. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    The comparisons between blowing into a trumpet and plucking strings don't really stand up in my opinion. A trumpet is essentially just a tube of brass 'blown' into whereas stringed instruments need, well, strings. Trumpet is as direct and primitive in concept as it can possibly get. The addition of valves and other refinements to its manufacture doesn't really affect this basic concept.

It's light, it's completely portable, I don't need to buy strings or reeds, any accouterments whatsoever to play and it sounds brilliant. It's my own personal Goldilocks instrument.

Edit; and it can be played very subtly too.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    OK, Goldilocks and the three valves... :wub:

6. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I've got any kind of experience with trumpet, maybe with the cornet and I would say it is not direct because of the back pressure.
    It is not a free blowing instrument, kazoo is better for that.

7. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    With all due respect to the OP, I think any instrument, including voice, is an intermediary for musical communication. Whether you're communicating with an audience or only with yourself, you express your thoughts and feelings by shaping and articulating sound. That's as intimate, or not intimate, as you care to make it.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    What Rowuk wrote!! Recorder? Forget it, you can hold it out your car window and it will play! Singing has the vibration in your throat and playing the trumpet has it at your lips. Which do you learn first - to move your lips or to sing?

The trumpet can indeed be intimidating, as it is hard, especially when new to playing, to play quietly. No place for shrinking violets with the trumpet.

Reedman - how is one to express musical ideas with no sound? Write it down We always learn to speak before we learn to read and write, and the same applies in music. Telepathy is mostly fiction.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You feel back pressure because you are BLOWING. IF you breathe into the instrument it might not resist anywhere as much. A kazoo has no back pressure, but it also is merely a sympathetic vibrator, not really making its own sound.

10. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course but the plucked string instrument is the oldest musical instrument on the planet. There are evidences of it long before any other.