Trumpet = direct

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smrtn, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
  2. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Hm, I'm definitely not the kind of person who thinks the instrument I happen to play is more difficult or more pure or anything -- well, okay. I do. I LOVE PIANOS. But I also recognize that the reasons why I love them are peculiar to me, and that other people will naturally feel that way about whatever instrument they love to play.

For me, as someone who is addicted to making as many noises in as wide a range as possible (hence my love for piano), the big pluses about trumpet are portability, ergonomic friendliness, fungibility (to some extent) and mellow sound. They also direct the sound away from my head, making it much more pleasant at close range.

Keep in mind that the last single-note instrument I flirted with was a viola, which is typically pungent as all strings are, right next to your ear, temperamental, expensive, and can f*ck you up six ways from Sunday even if you play it correctly. I had never once cared about or even been aware of wind instruments, and yet I'm finding the trumpet to be mellow, kind to the body, and a natural carrier for improvisation, which I love to do. I feel like I'm humming to myself when I play, and I can't even play well at this point.

And I do absolutely love the low-level nature of it, in a physics sense. Most other instruments are how they are because of arbitrary cultural nonsense, and this can make their quirks annoying to cope with. The trumpet's quirks are as a result of mathematics, which I have more respect for and hence am more willing to negotiate with.

I wouldn't say its sound is "better" or "worse" than anything else. All instruments sound uniquely beautiful although I do have my favorites. But that whole combination of body and improv friendliness, portability, mellowness, and mathematical elegance has me far more fascinated than I ever imagined I would be with a non-keyboard instrument.

3. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    As someone who plays the guitar as well, and is frequently torn between them, the thing that most differentiates the trumpet is the physicality of it. It's simply harder to produce a note. The reward for that effort is the sound!
    Is it the most direct? Maybe, since the lips form the reed, unlike a sax. I've never played low brass, but I imagine playing a sousaphone would be really intense, with the low frequencies vibrating around your body

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    And the (French) horn is a blunderbuss. EVERYBODY that side of the bell will get it.

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Playing (well) the guitar is very difficult because you have to do a lot of things, and you have to play in the rhythmic section, you have to play solos. A lot of people play the guitar but the truth is that they don't play for real (3 chords, a pentatonic and they think they play).
    The easiest instruments are the most difficult to play well.

6. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    I think the easier instruments (easier to manipulate) just end up having harder music written for them and more to do. Everyone says pianos are "easy," and they are -- to get one sound out of. But then composers throw blizzards of 14-note chords at you marked presto, and it all evens out. Guitars are also easier to get one note out of, so like pianos, they end up with a bigger functional load.

7. Smrtn

Smrtn Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2014
    Concur

It's the thing that impressed me the most on beginning to play trumpet.