Trumpet double tonguing question(s)?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mummytuf, May 2, 2012.

1. mummytuf

mummytuf New Friend

Aug 8, 2011
    When you double tongue using T and K, do the notes sound the same?
    Lets say you play a Bb using T and play the same thing using K. Will there be any noticeable difference in sound? Or will both notes still sound the same?

Are these good exercises to learn double tonguing if you don't know how to do it?
    http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Double-Tonguing-Exercises.pdf

I'm about to head off into high school so I gotta know these things. Thanks!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The fact that your tongue is in different positions when you hit the T versus the K will result in the notes sounding different. If you want to sound them the same (not sure if from you post this is you goal) placing the tonue in a more similar position will get this effect such as du gu du gu du gu du gu du gu du gu du gu du gu.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    amzi likes this.
  3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Not that he needs my validation, but "gmonady" is absolutely right. By the way, I use the syllables "too" and "koo", and when I was learning to double and triple tongue my instructors goal was that I develop my technique to the extent that there was no discernible difference in the syllables. I never became that proficient, but some of his students were pretty close. I also want to confirm that using "d" and "g" consonants make it easier to obtain the desired similarity and can be developed enough that it sounds pretty close to the "t" and "k" consonants.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
  5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Not if you practice!

6. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    As the k is the weaker note you can improve the consistency by practicing the k tounging on it's own. It will sound really bad to begin with but will improve with time.

7. dvs cycles

dvs cycles Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2011
    SoCal
  8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    According to a guy who I currently play with, who grew up "down the street" and played trumpet with the Mendez sons. Raphael could and did play Moto Perpetuo in a single breath and did so in concert. However his recording(s) was/were made in 4 separate sections. He did so to ensure as perfect a performance as possible. However, as he aged and especially as his lung capacity deteriorated--he suffered from asthma--he relied more on his impeccable circular breathing.

But back on point--Mendez, in the opinion of many, developed his double and triple tongue technique beyond anything anyone accomplished, before or since. It you want to set a goal to work toward I can think of no better.

10. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    It's a technique called circular breathing, it allows you to play and breathe at the same time. To do it, you breathe in with your nose while pushing air out of your mouth. It's kinda difficult to explain, but try puffing your cheeks up and slowly releasing the air in your cheeks while breathing in through your nose. With enough practice you can get this going pretty good, but it's mostly a useless technique.

Sorry for the double post folks.