Trumpet Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    I want to learn to play saxophone or some other woodwind instrument. A classmate of mine told me that if I begin to play one as much as I play trumpet it will mess with my embouchure. Is this true?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    No. Apples and oranges

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What he said! Sax is "easier" according to a sax player I know who also plays brass. You just have to mess with reeds and such. They are also more expensive so N+1 is a hassle money-wise.

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I used to play sax...it's definitely WAY easier than brass to get to a certian level. Then like any instrument it's just as hard to get to the "mastery" level. Definitely more expensive too, especially mouthpieces. The only oddball thing about sax and trumpet is how some fingerings are similar. Like A/E on both is 1 & 2 (though on sax you add top 3). Similar with Bb/F and B/F#. Regardless still apples and oranges.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The sax does no damage if you ADD the time required to what you are already doing. If you split the time, you get worse, just like cutting down on practice time without a second instrument.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

I picked up the chromatic harmonica about 2 years ago. Like rowuk said, it won't hurt your trumpet chops, as long as you put in the additional time.

I think a second instrument helps me. It gives me something musical to do while my trumpet chops are resting. It stretches me, as I need to learn jazz heads in 2 keys (for Bb trumpet and C harmonica). It also gives our jazz trio a unique sound (there aren't too many groups out there with a chromatic harmonica).

Mike

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Ask Ira Sullivan. Never hurt him none.