Trumpet Ensemble Competition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MahlerBrass, Nov 8, 2005.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hello all, I'm interested in forming a trumpet ensemble at my school and possibly entering some competitions. Seeing as how the deadline for the NTC is December 15, that's out of the question, so is there another competition for trumpet ensembles that I could look into? Thanks a lot folks!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Why does a December 15th deadline put the NTC out of the question? That's over a month to get a group together and get the entry in - the actual competition isn't until like February or March - how much time do you need?

While I understand that you want to put forth a polished ensemble, the reality of the situation is that it shouldn't take 3 or 4 months to put together a couple of tunes.

Just a quick little story. When I was a Junior in high school, I started doing some solo work at the Zion Lutheran Church in my hometown in Southwest Nebraska. The organist there is an accomplished classical organist, as well as my K-6 music teacher, and my current mentor and friend. At first he started off pretty basic. A descant here, the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary there - that sort of thing.

One week he approached me and asked if I would be willing to play something in church the following Sunday - I was always game to do playing with that pipe organ so I agreed and met him in the Band Room office so that we could find something in the files. He selected two movements of a Corelli sonata. That was a Wednesday and I can remember thinking that he was nuts to expect me to go from sight reading to performance of a piece of music that I had never seen before in just 5 days. But the pressure was on and we nailed it. This sort of thing was to become a pattern until I left in August after my Senior year to play in an Army band - he would pick some new piece of music with a short turnaround time, I would think he was nuts and go for it anyway, only to be successful when we played it for church just a few short days later.

Since then I have come to realize that having months of prep time for a small handful of tunes is not the norm - what my mentor, J. Gordon Christensen tossed at me in my last two years of high school was. I currently play in a band that has over 250 charts in the horn book - I can't possibly keep all of that stuff completely polished all of the time, so I need to be able to prep the odd tough tunes on short notice, and be able to read the rest with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

What have you got to lose? I say get some folks together, get a few charts and get to work! :D

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You're absolutely right, but as it seems, for five or six of the best players in our studio to have time to get together outside of class, the planets have to align just right because we're all so busy, thus leaving little to no time from now to December (specially during this part of the semester) to get the music in everyone's hands, and have a few rehearsals to get everything polished, and I really don't want to send in a recording that isn't our best because I think we have potential to offer a lot.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Unless the recording completely blows chunks, as long as it gets you in the door, who cares? I still think you have plenty of time - if you guys want it bad enough, you will make the time to make it happen.

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Well, you've done it! You've convinced me to go for the NTC audition, we have a quintet ready and we're underway of getting the music prepared. I'm pretty exicted about this, and hope all goes well, thanks!

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    HA! That's great! Good job! :D

I was going to play at the NTC last year, but at the time they had a rule that if you made past a certain dollar amount playing music in the last calendar year, then it disqualified you for the Pro Am division - the only division that I would have otherwise qualified for. Just because I make good money playing doesn't mean that I'm not a hack! :oops:

I didn't see that in the rules this year, but I'm going to guess that it's still a stipulation. If the rule is gone, you might see me there because whether I play well or not, I would love to toss my hat in and peform a real solo again.

Good job MB! I'm glad you decided to go for it.