Trumpet Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jul 7, 2013.

1. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I just started my comeback which is from 1978. I was studying Arturo Sandoval on you tube playing his typical super fast scales. So I decided to take a stab at it and I started playing the F scale up and down as fast as I could for 10 minutes non stop. When I stopped, my lips were untouched but after 5 to 10 minutes all the muscles in my face were killing me. This convinced me that it was a healthy exercise. Did anyone ever see this exercise used before? I never felt my muscles worked so much in my life.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did you ever try to run a 5-K race after not running for 20 years. You are experiencing the same effect. Why would you think it would be any different? Skeletal muscle is skeletal muscle whether it be on you Calves or on your lip. Don't try to do the Arturo Sandoval thing again if you don't want to damage anything.

3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Actually I'm rather excited about it. It didn't put any stress on my lips. And when I work out the muscles in the rest of my body and they hurt, two days later they come back stronger!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, it would be true with your lips, but when you come back in 2 days, limit yourself to a 20-30 minute, low strain rehearsal. Stay at this level for a week, then increase your practice schedule by 20% or 5 minutes. Then stay at that level for another week, then increase another 20%.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  5. grantyg

grantyg New Friend

Feb 4, 2007
    Scotland
    Take a look at trumpet players toolkit on amazon kindle its all about returning to trumpet after a break!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Can't seem to find that in English, only French.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How about American English! ;-) My kindle won't go there (don't know why).

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Mine does, in English.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cause you're in the UK mate! This blokes on the west side of the pond!