Trumpet Fest: Mid Fall Southern PA/MD/Northern VA

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 24, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I am in the beginning stages of organizing a trumpet fest here in Maryland again at the end of October or early November. (Mainly because I'm unhappy I had to miss the last one due to a gig! :x )

If the planets align properly, it is feasible, mainly because of some of the contacts that I have, or that people that I know have, I might be able to offer at least a sample of the following:

Kanstul Trumpets
    Conn V1
    Bach Strads
    Yamaha Xeno
    Kanstul Mouthpieces
    Curry Mouthpieces
    C & H mouthpieces
    Holbert Mouthpieces
    Eclipse
    GR and Northern Brass Mouthpieces
    Schilke/Bach/Marcinkiewicz Mouthpieces
    Warburton Mouthpieces
    On the spot brass repair
    On the spot mouthpiece/rim plating/instrument spot plating
    On the spot custom mouthpiece manufacture (or at least a demonstration)
    Lead playing clinic
    Legit Playing clinic
    Anything and everything else that people bring (I know people with horns ranging from my Schilke B6 to vintage Benges to Lawlers, Bachs, Yamahas, ZeuS! etc)

And anything else I'm able to muster. I can't promise everything off of that list, but everything on that list is at least possible.

I already have a venue, and it is not a school - it's a music store and the owner is a master brass repair tech who also makes custom mouthpieces, and does a fair bit of pro work for the Baltimore/DC area brass players.

These are the possible dates:
    Sun, Oct 23
    Sun, Oct 30
    Sun, Nov 13 (probably Oct 30 or Nov 13)

I might add that the store has 3 or 4 studio practice/teaching spaces too so it would be feasible to semi-privately get to wring out the horns and mouthpieces on display.

What kind of interest would I have? I'm looking for 25-35 attendees. I would like it to be at least that, and although the store is pretty good sized, I think that it would only comfortbly be able to hold about 35 people at once.

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Y'know, I WAS planning on taking a trip to an Australia trumpet fair in early October, but I think I will see if I can swing a trip to Maryland instead (Would be able to save some cash). Early November seems like a good, open time for me.... *Fingers crossed*

Van

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've been kicking some things around this morning and the date that keeps coming back is October 30th. Personally, I would prefer to have a couple of extra weeks and try for November 13th, but I gotta go with the flow and if October 30th is when most people can be there, I have to take it.

HOWEVER...Nothing is set yet so it may be the 13th of November before all is said and done.

4. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    I missed the last one because of a gig, too, so I'm rarin' to go.......Larry at Stu's said let him know... B&S Challenger lineup, along with Yamaha, Shilke, etc...various Mpieces, and lots of different keyed trumpets, pockets too....Just hope PC brings the Kanstul lineup again....I'm gettin' closer to gettin' a new horn...
    Bob

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Van,

Do you have any details on that Australian trumpet fair that you can post?

Cheers!

6. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Adrian,it's you that will be hosting it. :D

Felix

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    As long as it's on a Sunday, theres a great chance I can come.

Van

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You would come all the way from TN? Wow! It will definitely be on a Sunday if it goes at all.

Since I started working the idea today, some things have come together amazingly fast. However, I don't want to put a lot of time and effort into this endeavor if I think that it will ultimately only draw a few folks. I'd like to have at least 20 - 30 attendees, not including the vendors and dealers.

If this thing goes, here are some things that I can virtually promise:

A decent selection of trumpets and flugels, some privately owned, some brought by dealers. I feel fairly confident that I can get the following trumpets or brands to this thing:

trumpets/cornets/flugels:
    Eclipse, Schilke, Lawler, Conn V1, Bach Strad (ya think? :lol:) Yamaha, Kanstul, Conn Connstellation/Victor, and various other personally owned trumpets, cornets and flugels, not to mention the random new and used instruments in the store where the event will probably be held.

Mouthpieces:
    GR, Northern Brass, Bach, Warburton, Curry, Schilke, Holbert Custom, C & H, Marcinkiewicz, Jet Tone (yeah baby!) and again, various other personally owned trumpet, cornet and flugel mouthpieces. Heck, we can even organize a mouthpiece swap where players bring in their shoeboxes of mouthpieces so that they can be displayed, tried, traded, bought or sold. :D

(note: I base the "personally owned..." statements on the gear owned by either myself or personal friends right in the area that I can most likely convince to come out to this thing - I know folks with all manner of horns ranging from Bachs to Schilkes to Lawlers to the almighty ZeuS!)

Other cool stuff:
    On the spot mouthpiece plating, on the spot repairs (as long as they aren't major - we're talking basic dent removal or buffing and spot plating) brass repair demonstrations, mouthpiece making demonstrations, live performance, jam session, clinic(s)/Q & A, possibly some private lessons with some really fine players and lunch. (Gotta have lunch!)

These are the very real possibilities that have cropped up just today with a couple of emails and phone calls.

Again, by show of hands, who's interested?

9. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    thanks for the info felix! :lol:

- i'll start the bbq and chill the beers! you are all welcome!

when am i having it? october you say? sounds good :D

10. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    yes,Adrian.
    I did not tell you yet,but I had some requests from down under.
    I will ship some horns over to you as soon as they are done.
    And if you be so kind as to host a mini fest?

Felix