Trumpet finishes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Marcel1998, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    Hi! So lately, I've been kind of sad with how my horn looks. So I figured I'd try to do a new finish or something, and I'd like to give it a brushed finish, but I don't know how! Any suggestions? Also, if there really isn't a good way to do that at home, what would be a good alternative?
    I considered removing lacquer to see it's original shine again, but I would want to lacquer it again and I'm not sure if I'd have to send it into the shop. If anything, I'm trying to avoid sending it to the shop. I'm trying to get my horn as pretty as possible without having to pay a lot.

To give an example of what I mean by brushed is this

http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/ZTR1000ABL_16b.JPG

Of course not as perfect, but still. Also, I'm not sure if it matters but my horn is a Bach beginner trumpet and is nickel plated.

Thanks! :D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is one Tom Green did for me, a 60's vintage Olds Ambassador:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Marcel,

The Antique Brushed Lacquer (ABL) that the ZeuS Products have is basically a paint. I have their cornet and fluegelhorn in that finish. While it looks great, the problem is that any dings or chips leave a black mark.

Gary

4. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    Ah, I see. Thing is, I recently found a scuff mark on my trumpet that I personally thought looked better, so I was wondering if I could basically just do scuff marks all over the horn. (does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. :c)

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    With a certain grit sand paper you can, I'll see which

6. jazzmetalrocknroll

jazzmetalrocknroll Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2012
    Rhode Island
    If your still on a begginer instrument, I might suggest upgrading to a step up or even a pro horn. There are plenty of deals on ebay, probably some on craigslist, so look around. You might even find a horn with the finish you want. I know theres an ambassador on austin custom brass thats in raw brass for under $400 that you could just leave raw or get finished the way you want.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I second this. don't dump money into a beginner horn. Upgrade.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know the trumpet is an inert, cold metal object, but my brother and I beat the crud out of that horn. In a sympathic fugue state, I sent it off for a gold beading (pic in post above) to atone for all the tourture I put it through. While I do not disagree with your advice, in my stituation, dumping money into it was a personal matter. If there is a trumpet heaven, I believe in so doing, an angel got their wings.