trumpet, flugel and cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by uapiper, Jan 14, 2008.

1. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    If mouthpiece choice is so important to someone who is getting serious with their playing, is it a bad choice to play trumpet, flugel and cornet. I mean bouncing back and forth from those instruments.

If so, could I practice with one of those for the duration of that day. As far as mouthpieces go, if I use a 7c on trumpet. Should i be using something similar to that on all instruments as well.

I am having my wisdom teeth removed today, all four with local anesthetic. I may be sidelined for a while I guess. My trumpet teacher figures three weeks.

My teacher lets me play whatever I show up with, has never asked about my mouthpiece choices either. I am just curious to see if Playing all three is going to set me back.

Thanks everyone for the wide array of valuable advice I am sure to be flooded with.

Mike

2. hammer56

hammer56 New Friend

Nov 7, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I recommend finding the same rim for the mouthpieces of your different instruments. If you play 7c, you will have no trouble finding the same thing in cornet and flugel. The cup shapes will be different for all 3 mpcs. for their characteristic sounds. Since you have a cornet for the mellower tone, you may want a shallower trumpet mpc. for a brighter tone and a little help with high notes.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I wouldn't think so at all. Especially if you are enjoying yourself. That whatever we call it that lures us to practice on and on is worth a ton. And if you get more of "that" by playing all three instruments, go for it ! :-)

My cornet mouthpiece is a Wick 4 which matches well enough to the diameter of the Bach 3B I use for trumpet.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Try to stay with the same diameter rim or series.

As for wisdom teeth: Advice you didn't ask for.
    Keep ice on both sides of your jaw for 24 hours or more. You can get fancy ice packs for this that you keep in the freezer and alternate as they warm up.

Rest for 24 hours. Drink water and soup but not too hot. Resting keeps your heart rate down and helps clotting.

No alcohol, period. Alcohol disolves the clot.

No aspirin. Aspirin reduces the blood clotting mechanism. It makes the red blood cells slippery. Use the pain killers the doc gives you.

Rinse your mouth with dilute salt water after 24 hours. Keep this up until you see the doctor at your next appointment.

After about 48 hours the clotting should be formed and you should feel better. Start with warm packs. Warm improves blood circulation and healing in your cheeks and jaw.

After the third day, into day 4 let your body do the rest. No alcohol for a month, stay away from aspirin. Rinse with dilute salt water.

I would think that you could play trumpet after a week. You could rig up a hosaphone and buzz for sure after a week.

Good luck. Many of us have been in your shoes today. It will be over soon enough.

5. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Great advice guys, the teeth are out, piece of cake. I hope I can start to practice again in a week or so. I was very surprised that it was that easy. I was in and out in 45 min. Awesome dental experience.[​IMG]

Thanks for the mouthpiece info too. I am using a Bach 5c for trumpet, a Denis Wick 4b for cornet and a Denis Wick 4fl for the flugel. They feel good and give me the tone i want and allow me to play for about 40 mins before my chops crap out.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    uapiper,
    If you practice the switch on a daily basis, you will not suffer at all! The same rim MAY offer similar geometry for all horns and be beneficial when you do not have time to practice much.
    I had the same thing done many years ago and played Carmina Burana 3 days after the operation. I spit a little blood, but the otherwise the gig went ok. I kept practicing after that, just shorter sessions more often and rinsing with salt water.