Trumpet / Flugel Bore Size

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Being familiar with a .459 bore on both of my trumpets, would a smaller bore flugelhorn have more resistance to airflow? Does a smaller bore make the horn more difficult to play? What effect does bore have on overall tone color? I have noticed that flugels come in a wide variety of bore sizes, ranging from quite small (.413) to large (.460).

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bore size, usually measured at the second valve slide, has less to do with resistance than sound. A bigger bore will tend to have more "edge" to the sound than a smaller bore. Try a bunch of different horns out and let the horn find you!

3. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello. I just started trying out the Flugelhorn. I decided to try a doubler type,since these have a little larger bore size close to our Basic Trumpets/Cornets. My King Trumpets/Cornets are in a .458/459 bore sizes.

I got a very good buy on a like new (.453 bore), 725 Kanstul Flugelhorn. These larger bore sizes will tend to be on the Darker side in low/mid range with less edge or a more mellow sound in the higher notes. Which for me,sounds just fine.

From other post I have read. A lot of what we call the American Jazz Flugelhorn sound. Came about from Jazz players with a lack of money. Buying and playing a particular cheaper inferior brand of Flugelhorn horn. Forget it's name. Believe Tom Turner did a topic on this. Today we have much better choices.

Comparing the blow aspects to your Trumpet/Cornet to a Flugelhorn is like a Apple/Oranges comparision. No matter what bore sizes in a Flugelhorn you are trying out. My Kanstul 725 model in a .453 bore is very free blowing.

Here is what I quickly found out though. You can not play a Flugelhorn like you do your Trumpet/Cornet. It even has to be held gently, and blowed much more gentle and relaxed. Just can not be forceful with it.

We hear a lot from our Pro Players about learning to play more relaxed. The Flugelhorn will teach you how. One of our Flugelhorn players compares these horns to a Grand Mother. You just do not push Grand Mother,you gently lead her along.

I have only had my Flugelhorn about a week. Will really get into it this coming month. It appears easier to play,and less demanding than my Trumpet/Cornet.

Maybe some day Getzen or Kanstul will clone one of those first model H.N. White King or Conn older, vintage Flugelhorns. They looked to be better balanced with a easier hand hold. Lead mouthpipe level to face, like a Trumpet/Cornet.

Good luck with your Flugelhorn search,best to compare Flugelhorns to Flugelhorns and buy the one you like the most. Do not forget the Flugelhorn mouthpiece. Some like deep cup M.P.'s and some like the medium cups. Rim sizes will play a Factor as well.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    +1

I just discovered this myself this week:

http://www.TrumpetMaster.com/vb/f131/trumpet-vs-flugel-conundrum-58200.html

As best as I can tell, my newly acquired bargain ($150) Barrington flugel seems to have a bore size of 0.433 vs. my Olds Ambassador at 0.460, but I doubt this accounts for much, if any of the remarkable relative ease I experience when playing the flugel. Using same vs different mouthpieces also had no effect on this observation.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The bore "advertised" has nothing to do with anything. There are free blowing medium bore horns (many rotaries and older flugels for instance) and large bore horns with resistance (certain Xeno models come to mind).

The same goes for the sound. There are extra large bore Benges that have monster amounts of sizzle and large bore Bachs designed for the symphonic player with a more rounded sound than their medium large brethren.

You can't judge any horn by a single spec, the Artisan mixes and matches to get the desired result. The lies told by the marketing people over the years remain that.

Play and then comment. Specs are USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I guess we're in agreement then?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play a Jupiter 846. I don't know what size bore it is. Really, but I know I like the sound and the way it plays. Thats all that counts. :cool:

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    .433 bore. Nice horn, with a very classic sounding flugel tone character.