Trumpet/Flugel/cornet case

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by laurie, Feb 27, 2005.

1. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday
    I need a double case or bag that will allow me to carry my trumpet and flugel one day and trumpet/shepherds crook cornet the next. Most of the bags I have seen allow only one of those combinations. Does such a bag exist?
    Cheers
    Laurie

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have a Reunion Blues all leather triple bag that allows for two horns and accessories, or if you could actually hold three horns if you put a pic in the center pouch. I used that bag for a short time with a Bb and a C trumpet, but for a much longer time with a Bb and a flugel.

The Reunion Blues all leather bags tend to be somewhat costly (in black or burgundy leather, $259 at music123.com) but do offer what I believe to be the best protection in soft sided bag.

Here is a picture of it as an all leather with a crocodile imprint in the cowhide. it's $90 more than the other leather bags for essentially the same thing, just a different look.
    [​IMG]

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Glenn Cronkhite's cases are the best soft cases you can buy. He is the former case designer for Reunion Blues, but when the RB factory in California closed, he decided to launch his own company and have the cases made in California using only the highest quality materials. Glenn is again making new cases, either the same as the old RB cases, or improved.

As for my case, it is a modified Super Triple Trumpet bag that I had him make 4 inches longer and a couple inches wider. I carry my Harrelson 750 C, Kanstul Flugelhorn and Bach Strad Bb with room to spare. Remember that just like the Reunion Blues Cases, these are soft cases so you must be careful. They do offer superior protection to any other soft case, but it is still a soft case.

As for style, he can make your case out of about 20 different colors and materials. Mine is a perfect match for my leather jacket (hey as long as I was paying I was going to get something that made me look good!).

Glenn does not have a website as he chooses to work the old fashioned way. You can find many of his products on line by entering Glenn Cronkhite Trumpet Cases in a google search. You can also call him at his home/office in the SF Bay Area. I'd PM it to you, but I seem to have misplaced it.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That sounds like two very good options in my opinion.

a.) go online and order a Reunion Blues bag and get what you get

b.) get a Glenn Cronkhite Trumpet Case, which is essentially the same thing, only a few bucks more, only it will be made to order, customized, and with a higher level of quality assurance.

5. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Laurie,

Were you looking specifically for a soft case?

I guess I travel a bit, and I needed a harder case. I carry around a Marcus Bonna quad case, but you can get them in triple and still fit a flugel, a Bb, and mutes. They are extremely lightweight, but freakishly sturdy and really small for what they can fit. It's one of the finest cases you can buy, and the price (around $240 for a triple) won't break you especially taking into consideration that you need another case for a long time - if his french horn cases are any indication, you might be able to wear it out, but only if you're really mean to it.

Check out this website - http://slidebone.com/case.html

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you want a case, the ProTec 301VAX is the one for you. It was designed for trumpet/flugel and to fit within airline carryon restrictions. I have one that I use for trumpet/cornet because the valves on the old Eterna cornets are too tall to fit in the 'regular' type of Protec case where the horn sits "upright".

Here're a picture or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I like it! (Marcus Bonna Quad Case)

[​IMG]

8. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks for the pics fellas, I think the protec may be the one for me.
    Tootsal, what make of cornet is the one in the bag?, its a lovely looking instrument.
    Cheers
    Laurie

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hi Laurie. That horn is a 1973 Getzen Eterna 800 large bore. I picked it up off ebay and after playing it for a year (then winning 2nd in last year's Eclipse contest) sent it off to Leigh to be rebuilt, customized & refinished to match the Eclipse trumpet that it now shares space with.

Leigh did an amazing job on the horn...to be fair the cornet was in pretty darn good shape for a 30 year old to begin with. It had some minor, cosmetic "issues" before it went over to him (multiple "dings", dent memories, poor soldering repairwork, crummy marching lyre mount, lousy Getzen plastic slide retainer, non-tuneable 1st slide) but came back looking like dynamite. Plays like dynamite too!

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

ps...I just want to add that the Marcus Bona is a great case. Although I haven't seen their trumpet case I have purchased one of their french horn cases for my daughter and she thinks it's "the cat's meow". An exceptional case but at an exceptional price. Still you asked specifically for a trumpet plus cornet/flugel so that's why I recommended the Protec. You can see more at http://www.ptcases.com

10. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Tootsal
    I am sure you have been told this many times before........your Getzen is just stunning, truly a thing of beauty. Thanks for the protec link. I have found a supplier in Aus and will check them out.

Laurie