Trumpet for 7th grader

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rubywill, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rubywill

rubywill New Friend

Jun 5, 2007
    Hi, my daughter will be in band next year (7th grade). She has taken trumpet for 2 years in elementary school. She rented a Conn last year and did not like it very much. I was looking to purchase a trumpet for her. I was looking for a good quality instrument but also trying to keep it under $1000. Any recommendations? Our music store recommended a Holton for $425. I don't know the model. It is probably the student model T602PC. She will march with the trumpet also. Thank you for your input and this forum.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that the horns with a street price close to $1000 are MUCH better than ones around $500. Yamaha, Jupiter, Holton, Getzen all have quality models in that price range. It may be a lot to ask, but if you can find somebody (not attached to the music store) that can play well to test it first, the chance of handicapping your daughter is quite small.
    The higher priced instrument will have a resale price should your daughter change her mind - the cheaper horns you have to practically give away!

3. heck99

heck99 Pianissimo User

May 29, 2007
    I've heard that the Yamaha student/intermediate horns are quite nice for the money. I used the YTR-2335M horn for marching band a few years back and it played nicely. If your daughter is serious about playing you could also look on ebay for used pro-line horns like bach stards or yamaha xenos. Just some food for thought.

-heck

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Why does she dislike the Conn? And which model is it?

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Look into the Getzen 300 or 400 series trumpets.

Warren

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I tried the Yamaha Xeno and liked it well enough.

As a seventh grader would it be acceptable for her to play cornet for a few years?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would also consider the Getzen Capri and Eterna series -- fantastic valves, American made by people that care, and they play well, too!

8. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I'd also be curios to know what she didn;t like about her rental. I have found at that age they are more concerned with the looks of the horn than anything esle. This is a tricky area because you have to think if you want to spend all that money on an "intermediate" trumpet.

As many here have mentioned I woudl try a Getzen. Their student models are buolt like tanks and they play well with really solid valves.

9. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    This is probably personal preference, but I rather they start on cornets. If they start too soon on trumpets, I start to notice bad posture developing from the weight of the trumpet. Plus, the distance of the valves is so much closer on the cornet. Thats my opinion.

But like everyone else, I'm also curious to know why she disliked the conn.

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, Rubywill,

I'm adoptable and could use a new horn.

The Holton is a good instrument. You might want to include intermediate models new or recently traded as you have given yourself extra allowance for a more expensive horn in the $1,000 range.

Best wishes!

Lloyd

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007