Trumpet for 7th grader

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rubywill, Jun 5, 2007.

1. rubywill

rubywill New Friend

Jun 5, 2007
    Thank you all for your knowledgeable replies. As to why my daughter didn't like the Conn. All she says is that she didn't like the feel and the way it played. It sounded fine to me, but I am not the player. I have found a Yamaha YTR 2335 online at Sam Ashe for 579.99. It states A quality used. Do you think this would be a smart purchase. Or should I buy new. It states list for this trumpet is $906. Thanks again all.

2. rubywill

rubywill New Friend

Jun 5, 2007
    To follow up, I did some looking into the Kanstul KTR-700S model. I think I am down to this or the Getzen 700S Eterna II. Which should I go with? The price difference is $30.00. I want to make the right choice. Thanks Again.
    I got a quote from Washington Music below.

The Kanstul KTR-700S silver plated step up trumpet is 695.00 including
    case and mouthpiece. Well built and plays well.

I also have the Getzen 700S Eterna II silver plated intermediate
    trumpet in stock and on sale for 725.00 including case and mouthpiece. This
    plays a little easier in the middle and upper range and the valves are
    silky fast. Our most sought after trumpet in this price range and comes
    highly recommended.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Kanstul makes some amazingly great horns, but his valves generally need to be pampered. Getzens have pretty much idiot-proof valves. My vote is for the Getzen.

4. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I'd go with the Getzen.

Warren

5. lazygoodan

lazygoodan New Friend

May 28, 2007
    Michigan
    Another vote for the Getzen. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a silver Eterna for $300 when I was in high school.:bash:

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Getzen!

7. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Getzen is a great horn. I do agree with the post about starting on Cornets, especially for players of smaller build, they seem to be easier for the student to hold at the proper level comfortably.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    At the risk of being a heretic on this forum, I would recommend a Barrington trumpet, either rose brass or silver. I bought on from wwbw clearance about a month ago (rose brass) and am very happy with its construction and playing characterstics, me being an ex strad owner for 22 yrs and now owning 2 Bessons and a Gretsch. I play in a fine concert band and it does as well as any of the others. Many reviews on the wwbw site, including mine. I guess they are used as student horns, but sure don't act like one. Beautiful fit and finish, etc. I use a 7c or Jettone Merien C mouthpiece. An Olds ambassador trumpet or cornet from the many ebay auctions would be good, also.