trumpet for a begginer

Discussion in 'Horns' started by stormcrow, May 21, 2008.

1. stormcrow

stormcrow New Friend

May 21, 2008
    Howdy all,

I'm a guitar player looking to expand my horizons a bit. I'm pretty serious about the guitar, and it will always be my main instrument, I've just had the urge lately to pick up something else and play it on the side for fun (and who knows, maybe it could get more serious?). I thought to myself, "what would be the most opposite instrument I could play?". And thus, the trumpet came to mind.

I know nothing... NOTHING about trumpets. Well, other than that I like the sound it produces. This is where you come in. I'm not looking to spent alot of money ($500ish max). I just want something I can learn on and have some fun with.

And being a total noob I also need some kind of instruction book/cd/dvd/whatever to get me started in the right direction. Something FUN where I'll actually learn how to play tunes (I recognize the need for scales and such tho).

THx!

2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Based on your description re purpose and $, I'm sure the folks in here will advise you to go with a good quality used horn from eBay, Craigslist.com, etc.

The Yamaha student models (e.g., YTR-2335) are noted as being very good. Here's an example from eBay:

Yamaha YTR-2335 Trumpet - eBay (item 260242148154 end time May-22-08 07:48:00 PDT)

Here's a brand-new one for $539:

BRAND NEW YAMAHA YTR2335 Bb TRUMPET **FREE SHIPPING** - eBay (item 200224172822 end time May-24-08 13:11:14 PDT)

I recently bought a near-brand-new Jupiter flugelhorn JFH-846S at eBay for $540 including shipping, which was an outstanding deal.

So, good deals are out there.

3. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I agree with the first response.

Yamaha 2320 or 2335

Bach 300

Holton 602

Getzen 300

I once had all 4 in my house at the same time so I was able to test-drive them side-by-side.

Nice dependable student trumpets, inexpensive but decent quality.
    The market is flooded with used ones, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good one at a good price.
    No reason you would have to spend more than $200 for a good used one.
    You might find a good one for only $100 if you're lucky.

I have even read people say that when they moved up to better trumpets later on, they still kept those decent student trumpets to use in marching band, so that the better trumpet would not be subjected to the inevitable accidents that happen to instruments in marching band.

I'll have to let other people recommend the books / teaching aids you are looking for.

- Morris

4. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    I have a Bach TR300 that is probably one of the best beginner trumpets that I've heard.

Of course if you want to you can buy an Olds Ambassador trumpet from eBay. Those things are solidly built and lots of people seem to have good opinions of them.

5. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Check out the Quality Brass website. Fred is a great guy to deal with and has some Yamaha student trumpets for around $300.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Barrington BRG101, $219.95 from WWBW, silver $269(I have no connection) Very good instrument value. See my reviews and many others there.:-)

7. stormcrow

stormcrow New Friend

May 21, 2008
    Great, thx for the posts guys, I'll check out all those trumpets.

No opinion on any instruction material though?

8. 79connvictor

79connvictor New Friend

Mar 8, 2008
    Illinois
    Many Conn and Olds horns made in the 70's and before are still around and are really excellent horns. I recently bought my niece a Conn Director for less than $100. Hands down the best value you will find. Personally I like the Rubank Method books. They can be had for like $2.00 online.

9. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    This might not be what you want to hear, but there's no substitute for some lessons from a decent tutor. DAMHIKIJK :play:

ManGo

10. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    If you go with the Barrington, a friend of mine in Pennsylvania is selling his:

Mint condition 2 month old Trumpet

It is only 2 months old, mint condition, $175.
    He's selling because with his breathing problems he needs to concentrate on cornet which requires less air.

- Morris

Last edited: May 25, 2008