Trumpet, Fugelhorn or Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jefan, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jefan

jefan New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Utah
    I have recently purchased a Flugelhorn and I really enjoy playing it. At the same time, I have begun teaching my daughter the basics of playing the trumpet. I rented her a trumpet, to see if she liked it. She seems to get a better tone out of my very old getzen severinsen trumpet. And she does even better with my Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn. I had promised to get her a new trumpet, if she really liked playing, which she seems to. However, she is now asking about whether I would get her a flugelhorn instead of a trumpet. She says the flugelhorn is easier to play. I was wondering if I should get her a cornet to try, keep her on trumpet or get her the flugelhorn. I'm not sure what to get her for Christmas: trumpet, flugelhorn or cornet. On a related note, I have seen many restored trumpets on ebay. Any recommendations on who is a good restorer. I'm looking at a a possible Yamaha 2335 restored with a rose gold highllights for $500.00 as a possibility for my daughter. Since the color is similar to my flugelhorn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Your daughters age, grade level in school and band director(?) preference will play into this. My personal preference would be a c ornet with a medium deep mouthpiece to help her produce that sweet tone that she seems to have a liking for.

OLDLOU>>

3. jefan

jefan New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you Lou. My daughter is almost 10, she is on the smaller side and her school doesn't have band until the 6th grade. She is currently in fourth.

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I would agree with Lou on the cornet being a good choice for your daughter at this point. There are many good student ones on ebay or maybe your Craigslist very cheap, such as Olds Ambassador, Holton, Getzen, King, Conn, etc. The Getzen Severinson is a fine horn and brings good value on ebay. I would think you should keep that for her to play later on in Middle School and High School if she wants to, or the Yamaha 2335 is a proven student horn these days. How do you know it needs restoring? Parts like valve springs, felts, etc are easily obtainable. If you let us know the condition of the Yamaha, maybe we could comment on that better. There are many good horn shops around, some specializing in different aspects of repair. I don't think a fluegel would be of any practical benefit for a beginning musician and wouldn't be playable in school classes until maybe a jazz band in high school.

Glad you are encouraging your daughter in her musical interests.:-)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get her an instrument that there are ensembles for. Flugelhorn is generally too exotic for most young band programs.

A trumpet or cornet is safe. I like cornet a lot, so that is my reason to recommend it to you! As far as your daughters development goes, it does not make ANY difference which gun she gets. It is how she learns to pull the trigger!

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Well, Robin; my reasoning for my recommending a cornet was ergonomics and sweetness fo tone. On the other hand, most current school music teachers over here in the U.S.A. seem to demand that all high brass students 'must' play a trumpet. I find this to be odious. I am very much aware that such as an old Holton Clarke Model which you and I both own and love would be ideal, except for the almost guaranteed damages that beginning students are sure to inflict on such a fine little horn. If this little girls school music teacher will condescend to 'allow' her to play a cornet, that would be the best. I see Holton Collegiates, Olds Ambassadors, and the like selling for $25.00-$75.00, depending upon cosmetic appearance on Ebay , Shopgoodwill, and Craigslist.

OLDLOU>>

7. jefan

jefan New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Utah
    I think I will go with the cornet. I would also like to try the cornet. There is currently a 1956 Conn Victor, that I will try for on Ebay. Is that a decent cornet or should I look for something else? I have been looking at about the $500 price range.
    Thanks

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

On Ebay you can buy one H--- of a cornet for $500.00. As a first horn for your 10 year old daughter I would set my budget limit a whole lot lower.

OLDLOU>>

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your daughter is pretty luck to have a dad like you! If you have the $500 to spare, there is nothing wrong with that. Make sure she has here own music stand and a metronome too.

Teach her to reward herself when she has reached a pre established goal. Many young players get hung up on what they CAN'T do instead of rejoicing in what they have accomplished!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    For what it is worth I agree with Robin and Old Lou, but can I suggest that the music stand you may purchase is not one of the spindly little collapsible ones - 'cause that's what they do - collapse. Buy a decent stand from the start, even if it isn't the folding type. School bands don't normally have seperate music sheets - the kids will put the whole music folder on the stand and whammo, gravity takes over at the most critical time.