Trumpet, Fugelhorn or Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jefan, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In middle school bands most directors won't care what she plays (cornet or trumpet) as long as she has a horn. I played all the way through high school on a cornet. I really prefer the cornet for the younger students. It's easier for them to hold promoting good posture and easier to get a warm sound.

Having her play with you is such a great oppertunity for both of you. At her age keep it fun.

good luck,

Bob G

2. jefan

jefan New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Utah
    I really appreciate the advice. As I mentioned I had just bought myself a flugelhorn. There is a lot of information on what is a good flugelhorn or trumpet. It is even possible to ascertain an approximate price point on trumpets and flugels. However, it seems that there isn't much on cornets. I enjoy the flugelhorn so mucn. Maybe I will get a cornet that both of us can enjoy. You have mentioned that $500.00 is a lot. Looking at flugelhorns and trumpets it was about $1000 and up. What would you suggest as a good cornet for both of us? Either to be used together or one for me and one for her. Thanks again.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Gosh, you have a lot of options. Good horns are expensive but they are worth the money. STAY AWAY for the horns made in China, India and Pakastan. They are very substandard by any measure. For new cornets. all the companies owned by UMI are suspect in quality. This is called the Conn Selmer company. except for the Bach instruments< they still make quality horns. Yamaha and Getzen currently make the best production line student horns. Blessing makes a good student horn. Depending on when they were made these used horns would be good choices. Conn, King, Olds, Reynolds, Besson, Martin. If I think of any more I'll let you know. Do you have a band repair shop handy? You will need to take any horn to a repair shop and have then check the horn over. Some problems to look for are acid rot esp. in the leadpipe and worn valves. If they move nice, it could be because of excessive wear. Worn valves will cause a horn to play stuffy and out of tune. A good valve rebuild can cost $300 to $400. Goggle used cornets, check local music stores and pawn shops. check in local papers that specialize in people selling stuff. If you find a horn and have questions, feel free to contact me. also I have a "how to care and feed your trumpet" paper I wrote for my students. I would be glad to send it to you.

Good hunting
    Bob grier
    [email protected]

4. jefan

jefan New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. One of the trumpet master members offered me a 1957 Holton Super Collegiate for a fair price. There were a number of comments on this particular cornet, especially about Alucard's refinishing with the bead blasting. After thinking about it, I thought it might be fun for my daughter. Little girls like that added bling. I took her trumpet back and rented a cornet for her to try and she seems to get a better tone with the cornet than she could with the trumpet. I thought it would be fun if we both have cornets, so I also picked up a (from serial number approx. 1964-65) King Silversonic cornet for myself. It was an ebay buy, so I'm not sure how it plays. But the whole idea is that my daughter and I have something to work and play on together. I don't know anything about cornets, but I'm hoping to learn along with my daughter. I was thinking of starting to get into collecting vintage trumpets. I really wanted an Olds super recording or recording. But since we now have two cornets, maybe I'll start collecting vintage cornets. thanks again for your advice. It's as though I have a large family who I can go to for advice and they all play trumpet. I'm very grateful to all of you.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Wow! this is the same model horn I started on in 1958. This should be a great cornet. Is the King a Master Model Silver Sonic cornet? I just finished doing my daily routine on my 1975 King Master Model Siver Sonic Cornet. Sound Like you have got some really good horns there. As for the advice, you're talking to a bunch of trumpet players. We love to talk trumpets.
    How many trumpet players does it take to change a light bulb? 5, 1 to change the bulb and 4 to watch and tell him how they could have done it better!

Bob G

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you like I can send you my paper on the care and feeding of trumpets and cornets. It's very good.
    Just send me your e-mail address.

Bob Grier
    [email protected]

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I also recommend a cornet. My son`s school starts band in 3RD grade he also was small for his age. Many years ago I bought an Olds Ambassador for 20 dollars and in need of alot TLC , cost me an extra 40 ,turned out to be a great horn. The size was just right for my son` hands and it was easy for him to keep the bell pointed up and not at the floor because of the front end weight , as he got older and bigger he did switch to trumpet.