Trumpet Grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bluegill, Apr 12, 2007.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think there is a right way or wrong way. I have had a great player tell me to get a hold of the thing and another great player tell me to never grip it hard.

If you look at pictures of symphony players, you will see all different ways to hold the trumpet.

My advise would be, to be comfortable. Don't think too much about it. The less you have to think about technical things the more room for thinking about making music.

2. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    A common way for lead players (especially) to hold the horn is with the ring finger and pinky under the third valve slide, horn resting on the ring finger, and then the middle finger working the slide. I find that this balances my horn better allowing me to grip less, not worry so much about ramming the horn into my face, and allows me greater faucility with my slides. I really think the biggest thing is to use fingertips. I always teach my students to hold as close to finger tips as possible. That way they become more relaxed holding the horn, and can move everything faster.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TL described it better than I did. That's exactly how I hold my horns and the bit about the fingertips is dead on. Sometimes the horn feels weightless in my hands as a result of holding it like that.

ML

4. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've tired that before but never found it that comfortable. I think I'll just work on making my grip lighter as I play.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, that's not surprising as I have large hands like I mentioned before. That's why the matter of the grip is very individual and best left to common sense.

ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I also use my ring finger to work the 3rd slide. When I hold it the "conventional" way, my ring finger and pinky get jamemd against the 3rd slide ring. Also, I found my ring finger is stronger and faster than my pinky; thus I can work the slide faster.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I tried that grip today, too. (The one Manny and TL were describing). Sometimes it's best to stick with what you've been doing all along; your body knows what it needs to do. Try not to over think it and just let it happen as it naturally does.