Trumpet Hang - Happens?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am envious and intrigued by the Trumpet Hangs that occur in the USA.

Here in Australia we rarely get to play a lot of different makes and models, to compare - and talk with real trumpet players. This type of event would have real merit, as cheap airfares/week-end deals can be organised given a fixed date - and notice.

Can anyone help with a checklist of how to make an event like this happen?

Also from experiences WHAT to NOT do? and WHAT has been the problems experenced?

Thanks in advance for help and comments

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I cohost one in Chicago. Be prepared for high-note jocks to play triple-whatevers. Too many of them in a room at the same time is not fun. Plan it for when travel is not affected by weather a whole lot. It's up to you whether to provide food and beverage; we don't supply food because it's a four-hour window and who wants someone else's food blown down your horn?

I know Nan's hang in Buffalo is more of an event with a hall and vendors; sometimes vendors come to Chicago but it's more informal at a house. Check with your mates and see who has ideas how you want it to go. Ultimately what you choose together is what you should do.

Tom

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Does anyone do one in Saint Louis or KC?

4. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Some St Louis folks have come up to Chicago the past couple of years. They usually post more on Trumpet Herald.

Tom

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks Tom,

Those are good tips, and taken on board. (especially the food - good point)
    I suppose it would be easier to have it in a hall (school hall/scout hall/community hall) rather than a house - just from vetting people coming. Don't want the gear to disappear the next day from your own house.

Is it by invite only, or are walk-ins allowed?
    How do you manage security over the horns? Is that up to the owner, or do you have someone checking in and out of the venue.?
    How do you manage cleaning of mouthpieces - someone designated to wash in a solution and clean then?
    How to manage children - touch/no touch horns etc.
    Workshops?

I suppose I will try to get a checklist to get me started.
    Some points I might consider first-
    Survey for interest from Bands, Schools in the area.
    Canvas for any interested Vendors - maybe even at one of the Music Stores.
    Understand legalities and liabilities/security for gear and visitors.
    Canvas for an "Expert" to attend. (cost and accom/ transport etc)
    Advertise the event.

That 4 hour window sounds attractive. Maybe I'm making a War and Peace issue from a TV Guide.

I think worth pursuing. There have been a few threads from Aussies on finding where to play and try horns - it is a hole here - nothing really exists except at a couple of Stores with limited and specific brands and models.

Cheers

6. magnetman

magnetman New Friend

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Go for it Peter :)

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    To answer your questions in order, regarding Chicago:

1. The invitation was posted in open forum. Anyone who appears is admitted. Name tags are issued and people are asked to sign in.
    2. Security is up to the owner. People don't worry about it much.
    3. Mouthpiece cleaning is up to the individual playing a foreign piece. Cleaner is made available.
    4. Children are not allowed. Beer and wine (as well as soda) are provided.
    5. So far it's just been whoever shows up and wants to play. I press my horns on people and they usually thank me for it, though a few threaten to leave with my fluegel. :-) Sometimes vendors show up. One year I had on loan a couple of Al Cass mouthpieces from Steve Cass, and one year a Warburton rep showed up with a set of pieces for people to try. We discussed a master class for next year... that and not holding it during the snowiest part of winter. (Don't want it too warm, a lot of bodies create a lot of heat).

As I said, Nan does it differently for Buffalo; you might well do it much differently where you are. It depends on your culture and what seems reasonable to you.

Tom

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Adding a "garage sale" element was popular at the last hang I attended. Bring excess mutes/music/books/stands/horns, etc... sell `em!

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well Thanks to all for the help,

You have motivated me. I will start to try and organise an "Vic. Trumpet Muster" and will start to put a list of horns together, and muster support from some of the good people around Melbourne.
    Horn List, Venue, Date, and some sort of Master Class (Now I need to ask nicely to attrack a high calibre person) then get it out to the bands around the area, and any players. And lastly for me to consider security and liability.

The idea of registering visitors and vendors first is a good one, just to allow for proper set up.
    But again Many Thanks for the motivation and help. I will let you all know as it starts to materialise.

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Make sure that your #1 focus is fun for your participants. Don't assume more responsibility than you can afford. The best you can do is find the venue, share it, and let everyone choose their own level of security.

I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Tom