Trumpet Hang on Oct. 15 in Columbus, OH

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cowtowntrumpet, Aug 24, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what's with Ohio and trumpets ... can't say I am not jealous
    I have played those 4 valve Getzen's ... they are very underated Flugels ... I didn't like the feel of the valves.. the one I had if I was a ittle off it would hang up. Besides that it played really nice ... lots of sound for a flugel.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jeff,

Cyber_Shake heard me live at the Blue Wisp in Cincinnati a couple of months ago and here is what he had to say regarding my Getzen: "the g-man... sound on the eterna is the absolute best flugel tone i've ever heard in my life. it was magical!"

He was commenting on my using the Flugelhorn to play "Stella by Starlight" which features me as the soloist on this tune. We play it very slow, almost out of tempo, very Miles like use of notes, but with the Flugel sound.

I also wanted to let you know I just received a message from another TM member that also lives in Dayton, and it looks like we will be car pooling together to your hang!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay, coolerdave, with all those horns hanging out in Columbus, I am thinking a West Coast contingency would be a worthwhile venture. Turtle vendors from Oregon would also be welcome.

4. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    Having seen Gary play, count me in as the far less talented TM member from Dayton planning to participate on Saturday. That said, I am looking forward to joining the crowd.
    LJH

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am building a contact list .. little by little.
    Since I am relatively new back to the scene I need to find out what is already in place here .... looking forward to hearing your thoughts on some of those horns

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With so many horns it will be difficult to remember, so I'll try to take notes.

7. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    I will try to play the notes! ROFL

8. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Just picked up two prototype trumpets from a local tech who is great and worked at Conn with Fred Powell for several years. Rob Phillips is a great repairman and works at Buckeye Brass. He couldn't make the hang, but I said I could take a few prototypes of his if he wanted. So, those will be there too.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Take care,

Jeff

PS- LOL about the notes joke

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Best Flugelhorn - Goes to the Getzen Eterna 4 valve. Oh wait, that one was mine. But a close second was the Kanstul Custom Copper. It did have the most mellow flugel tone below F on the staff. Sound is very similar to the Eterna from the F and beyond. But what gives the Getzen 4 valve the edge is the 4th valve. I have become addicted to the ability to bridge between the low note on the flugel and the peddle tones, and I play a lot of songs within this range. So Getzen gets the edge based on versatility. The Kanstul 725 played out of tune, as did the Courtois 154R. It does have a nice sound, but I was surprised with the intonation issues. I know people note Getzen tends to be out of tune with certain valve combinations, but this was the most in-tune horn of the flugel lot.

Best Trumpet - The Olds Recording (and it wasn't even mine so I couldn't be biased). The Olds Super was... well super, but it was not as responsive as the Recording. It was lighter, but did not have as bright of a sound in the upper octave. Also tried an Olds Custom Crafted that was especially light and had a nice sound. I was not impressed with the Olds Mendez, and of all the Olds, this horn had very slow action, and I could not play a bebop line above 300 on this horn. There was a 1946 Martin Committee, that I must say I enjoyed quit a bit. It was a bit of a wrestle to push out notes in the lower register over the Recording, but when pinned to that mat, a smoky sound emerged. If I had to grade the Martin on a 10 point scale for most smoky at a 9, the Olds Recording an 8, and the NYTC Stage II a 10. What blew me away about the Martin, was how easy it blew in the upper register, yes easier than the Recording! But the Recording popped out notes with ease throughout the whole range, smoky in the lower range and with the same brightness of the Martin without the wrestling match at the lower end, which is why the edge went to the Recording. NYTC horns were nice, I was disappointed with the Schilke Chicago, especially with the valve action and the King Liberty was the most difficult to control. The King Tempo 600 was difficult to play in the high range. The Conn LTD had one of the easiest high ranges to hit, but was a little too brassy for my taste. Most of the Bachs did not impress, but the Strat 37 (both that I played) were fabulous horns with good blow, minimal resistance throughout all the ranges, lighter weight than the Recording so this came in a close second.

There were so many more horns that were fairly much on an even scale, so I just mentioned the stand out reviews that I inked down on my note pad. This trumpet hang was fabulous and worth an hour and a half drive. Hay, coolerdave, where were you? Turtle, what no West Coast contingency? I mean Turtle, you could have a least found a King to convert to a lamp to light up your great Shed. It would have truly been worth the flight. Heck just the chance to compare notes and come to the realization that I am actually a pretty nice guy would have made it all worth the trip. Right?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  10. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    Today I attended the Trumpet Hang in Worthington, OH too. It was an awesome day and event! Thanks to Cowtowntrumpet for organizing the venue and details!

I believe there was something interesting and beneficial for every participant. The variety of horns and mouthpieces to play rivals the best music stores. Superb horn players exhibiting their tastes and skills in every corner of the room. The tutelage of Pat Harbison's speaks for itself. Even more, great people and making new friends topped it off.

I look forward to future hangs! It was a fun day Cowtowntrumpet!
    LJH