Trumpet HAS to be checked with baggage :P

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Dec 1, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Alright the day after Christmas, my band is going to Paris for the New Years Eve Parade in Chantilly and then London for the New Years Day Parade, where we will also, the following day, have our jazz band perform at the executive high tea (or something like that). We HAVE to bring our uniforms as our carry-ons just in case our luggage gets lost (not hard to find another trumpet in paris or london, but a custom uniform.......). Well that means my trumpets have to go under the plane :-(. Im really starting to freak about this because of how they load the luggage. I was thinking of using an iPac double case because I need my Aristocrat for marching, and my Strad is a MUST for jazz. I emailed the company and they said its not ATA approved, so im thinking of bubble wrapping (yes bubble wrapping) my horn. Would this work? Or am I better off just bringing my Strad and using its original hard case (1970s)? Its a different case then normal due tothis protruding "valve-holder" which holds the horn pretty securely, which MIGHT be safe enough for the flight, but im not sure. I prefer to not bring it out for the two parades and use my other horn, but am I better off using the Bach case or the iPac double? Also does anyone know any other things I can do to keep my horn (s) as SAFE as possible?

Thanks,
    Kristina

ps I dont have the time or money to go out and buy another case, so buying another case is not an option as of now.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Kristina,

I have checked many times my trumpets with the luggage in a Marcus Bonna quad case. Never had a problem. All their cases are very secure, but rather expensive - I recommend that you get a double. Just make sure you don't have in the case a tuner, metronome or any other hard items that may ding your trumpets while being transported. Of course nothing is best than taking the case in the plane with you, but sometimes it is possible. That's life.

3. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    One must ask why the adminstration of the band doesn't get one large travel case to hold ALL the uniforms, so they are all together for the duration of the trip. Thus leaving the musicians free to take their instruments on board. That is the way it is usually done.....

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wrap your good horn in bubble wrap and then wrap your uniform around it and bundle the whole thing into the smallest carry-on it will fit. You might have to have it ironed (the uniform) when you get there, but that's not too expensive. Or you could just wear the uniform and carry the strad on, with the other in your luggage. If the luggage is lost, at least you'll have one horn and Paris is famous for women's clothing:roll:

Otherwise just insure your strad for the trip and leave the other one behind.

v

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Last time I checked you get two carryons. Take a small case and your uniform. March with your Strad and take a single case if you need to.

Your band directors are going to replace your horns if something happens to them in baggage right? To guarantee the safety of the uniforms.

Stuart

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Khora brought a very valuable and valid point. Kristina, better check that...

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I like the general idea here, and have done it myself when packing for Europe when I don't want to check a bag. Of course, it requires some discipline to pack light enough to get your horn into your carry on, but I'll bet it could be done with a little practice. :thumbsup:

8. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Everytime I've travelled overseas with bands, the uniforms have always been checked under, and anything the same size or smaller than an alto sax has been carry-on. Perhaps ask if the airline will let you take both the uniform and the case, sometimes if you ask nicely they'll let you! :p

Seriously though, a strad case, bubble wrap, and the outside of the case bound up in that cling-wrap stuff they sometimes do at airports plus a big FRAGILE sticker and you should be ok.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Veery raises a good point here. Airlines have an upper limit for replacement of lost baggage and your personal travel insurance won't cover your instrument - you need travel insurance for trumpet replacement unless your current policy covers such loss.

I travel internationally a lot and have never had my instrument consigned to the hold - in addition, I have worked for an international airline for 40 years and would NOT consider consigning any trumpet to the "bag-snatches" under any circumstances.

As a lady you should be entitled to carry-on plus a hand bag - make your trumpet your handbag - nah nah, I don't mean with all the miriad knick knacks you girls seem to lose in you handbags - just your trumpet in place of a handbag - a great excuse for purchasing new warpaint in Paris BTW.

Check on your ticket, or with the airline, and you will be able to determine the length, width, and depth of acceptable carry-on and stay within the entitlement limit. Anything you don't NEED - don't pack.

Remember the staff at the check-in counter/gate have the last say. Stay cool, ask for their help, bung on the tears if necessary, but get that trumpet in the cabin, not in the hold. Last bit of advice - check-in as early as you possibly can, before everyone gets "stroppy" and the check-in staff begin to lay down the law, play your ace cards as necessary (politeness is the key). As a very last resort, ask if the pilot or senior cabin crew member (Cabin Manager or something) will look after your horn onboard. Good luck.

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well my director said he's put his trombone in the hold multiple times and its been fine, but unlike him, I can't afford to be laying down another two grand to replace this horn........Plus it will be horn hunt, round TWO. He said all instruments are going under, but I was just thinking, maybe I can pack lightly in my suitcase (its pretty tough) put the strad's case inside the suitcase, and more bubble wrap!!!

Also I've never thought of the fragile sticker, that could work. I can't put the case in the garment bag because I also have to bring my jazz gown in the same garment bag and the uniform is pretty thick as it is, so there won't be much in the way of room. I've checked the instructions a million times. It says garment bag with uniform and for jazz ensemble, gowns/tuxedos aswell, and then all instruments (except flute, clarinet, etc go in suitcases) are to be checked in along with one suitcase. UGH.