Trumpet HAS to be checked with baggage :P

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Dec 1, 2009.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Insure your horns - and I don't mean travel insurance. There are many different companies out there that will insure instruments up to a certain value, as well as companies that insure nothing but musical instruments. This will guarantee that you won't at least have to shell out money you don't have for new horns. My husband and I have a seperate policy with State Farm that covers our musical gear for professional use, but there are policies out there just for students, and most are pretty affordable. Have your parents talk to their insurance agent, or check for some companies online - it's well worth the effort. Our policy covers our gear for replacement value, and has no deductable - even expensive repairs are covered. Get something like that, and if your horn is lost or damaged you will have fewer worries. :) Good luck and have fun!

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    That sounds like a pretty good idea, if its not overly expensive I might just pay for it myself, considering my mom and grandparents did the favor of buying me the horn.

3. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    I hope everything works out with your luggage. Other than that--WAY TO GO RHS!:thumbsup: You lucky dogs!!! Just a figure of speech--I know you earned it! Have a GREAT time in Europe!

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

If you're concerned (as I would be) about your good horn then don't bring it. This isn't a paying gig at the Met, an audition for placement in college, or any other type of gig that will compensate you in any way that is more than the value of the horn.

I know a ton of kids who have gone on these trips and the ones who had concerns didn't bring their good horns.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    let's chop this up into the logical pieces:

Insurance for the horn should be there anyway, independent of this trip as you travel with the band regularly.

A double horn case is normally at the upper limit of what you can take on as carryon luggage. The really well padded ones are too big.

If you look at the damage that CAN happen, you see that bubblewrap in the trumpet case does not help at all. A decent case fits the horn snugly and you have no extra room. An alternative is a big suitcase where you put clothes around the trumpet case to pad it.

I always travel with as few horns as possible. As Dizzy once said: "oops is too late". In this case it is your decision: Aristocrat for jazz or Strad for marching.

I also have never been forced to mess with uniforms as carry on. I have always had them in my checked luggage or the band took care of it. If the gig is that important, they can send the uniforms in advance to make sure that they get there. Then they wait at the hotel for you. We have done this with big instruments too.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

If you can't get another case, then either figure a way to carry them on, or wrap them in bubble wrap and anything else you can. If they get damaged travelling this way the airlines WILL NOT PAY FOR DAMAGES TO THEM.

If you check them in an ATA approved case and they are damaged, the airlines will pay for damages (though for musical instruments getting them to pay is like pulling teeth).

The AFM battled the airlines for years back in the 70s and 80s to get them to take some responsibility for instruments that were checked and damaged. Prior to that, if you checked an instrument, even in an ATA approved case, the airlines simply would not pay for damages. For some reason music instruments were 'special'.

I recommend that any musician who is going to be flying a lot (tours etc.) get an anvil-style ATA approved case made for their instrument(s). That's the best way I know of to insure that the instruments will be reasonably safe.....

bigtiny

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Something to consider for everyone that posted "carry it on." I have carried bags on before and had them checked anyway because of low bin space. Usually thats with a "one carry-on," and "one personal item" option - personal item being a laptop. Regardless, the point is that there are no guarantees, pack so your horns are protected period. Then try to make sure you can carry them on as well.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If it was me, I'd tell the director that if he/she wants me to play my good horn for the jazz band thing, he/she needs to figure out a way for me carry it on. Staff member or chaparone carrying it, maybe? Otherwise, I'd play my marching horn for everything.

9. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Well , you have a right to be concerned putting your instrument in luggage . While sitting on a plane waiting for luggage to be transfered from our plane to another , I watched a baggage handler loading what looked like a sax case onto a trolly , the case fell on its side he took it out and ramed it as hard as he could in to the back , it fell again and he ramed it again , he done this about six times banging the case harder each time that was some abuse for any luggage let alone an instrument , some people have no respect.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not a lack of respect! Their job is to move luggage in the shortest possible time. They are not making a dedicated effort to destroy anything. After moving thousands of pieces for a living, you are on autopilot. They are not in a symphony orchestra where the quality of each note counts. This is manual labor. They don't see the musical instrument, they just see another piece of luggage. The airlines make very clear that there is NO SPECIAL TREATMENT for normal checked baggage. The responsibility is with the passenger to either pack accordingly or pay a fee for additional carry on.

Kristina wants to play it safe and probably only has the option to pack accordingly. That means a really good case, or to pack her present case in a much bigger suitcase with plenty of padding (clothes/bubblewrap). Many of us that do travel recommend only taking one trumpet - which should be insured if it is the Strad.