Trumpet Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChris334, Jun 29, 2011.

1. TrumpetChris334

TrumpetChris334 New Friend

May 31, 2011
    How come when I try hitting the high notes, my nose gets all conjested and stuffed and then I just have to get off of the high note because it irritates me so much. Also, when I go for hitting the high note, sometimes I can't hit it because it gets so stuffed.

Could I have allergies or something? This has been happening since March, and it has been bothering so much since then! Please help!

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    After moving to Branson, Missouri, I found out what allergies are all about. We are in the middle of a huge forest and most of the allergy problems are caused from the trees. If you have a raspy throat, watery eyes and nasal congestion, you could be having allergy problems. The only thing that works for me is Claritin Non- Drowsy.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I am not a doctor - although there are some here that are members. But there are a few questions to consider. Do you have other symptoms of allergies? If you pressurize your oral cavity with some other activity - such as blowing up a balloon, do you have the same symptoms? Does the allergy season in your area normally start in March? Did anything else happen in March that affected your health?

If it continues, you really should have it checked. Good luck.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Here's a thought, it may not fit. When I was younger I used to play high notes with so much compression that I could actually blow out compressed water vapor "smoke." The other thing that happened to me is I would get incredibly bad sinus headaches, and sometimes stuffiness and even nosebleeds.

So the question I would ask is, how much air do you move and how much compression do you use? You might want to try a MP with a bigger backbore.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds more like "you're doing it wrong" than allergies. The only way I could imagine your nose or nasal cavity sgetting stuffed/shut off would be if you're using brute force (puffed cheeks, puffed neck, arm strength, etc) and pressure to try to hit notes that you don't really own yet.

Which "high notes" are you talking about? Anything up to high C you should really be able to play without a lot of force and at ppp (very soft) levels.

You may need to evaluate the way you're "going for high notes" and make some changes.

There are LOTS of variables possible, so you might not get good advice on the internet. Maybe a local pro or trumpet teacher would be a better bet.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it's not allergies, it's poor breath support. This has happened to me when (which has been said) I don't own the note. Sometimes I hit it but man do I pay for it physically!! If your only problem is the high notes, then it's bad technique.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chris, I am a physician, and I really think you are having a vaso-motor reaction (not an allergy) from reflex stimulation of your airway.

Now if you gave me this history and I was your physician, I would give you a trial of:

Flonase
    Sig: i puff each nostril bid for the first month then qhs thereafter.
    Disp: 1 month QS
    Refill: 11

It may take 2 weeks to "kick in" but I really think this may work. It means being on drugs for the rest of your life, but at least you will not have to be subjected to electro-shock therapy on a weekly basis like our young Dr. Frankenstein - Right KT?

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Put the mouthpiece ON YOUR LIPS. ROFL

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably not wise to give (or follow) medical advice based on an internet thread?

I think the OP is a kid.