Trumpet HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by emaginethat, Aug 16, 2014.

1. emaginethat

emaginethat New Friend

Aug 14, 2014
    So I just started back playing trumpet, which was last year (my freshman year in marching band) and I just long to get better. I'm tired of people making fun of me because I am not on the level as my peers. I just don't understand what's holding me back. Like I can't even play a song all the way through without my lips starting to hurt, and just give out. For example we're playing Pharell Happy & in the beginning the trumpets are just backing the other parts up, I play half notes then we get to the chorus which is the trumpets time to shine, my lips are just worn out & weak, it's spit everywhere & I just can't play I have to take my mouth of the mouthpiece to try to play again. Also I can't tongue, my notes sound airy, weak, & a mess. I can hit most of the notes of the scale, even some high but like I stated it sounds weak & airy. I don't know if it's my embouchure or not, I was told to say the letter M and play. I just want to redeem myself to a lot of people. I need advice, websites, or vids! THX

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
  3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You need a teacher. I suspect there will be a pressure issue form what you are describing but get some real time advice before you ruin your chops

4. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Long tones, long tones, long tones. Also, do some more long tones after that! Long tones are the best way to improve your endurance. There is no quick fix and you will need to practice everyday.

Prescription:

Time: 10-20 min.
    Frequency: Everyday

Play through your entire range (lower to high) one note at a time. Hold each note as long as you can without taking a break (other than, of course, in between notes) and slowly crawl up your full range in a similar manner. Then, go back down your range just as you did before. This is a good place to start but, you may want to change it as you see fit.

<Insert sloppy signature here>

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I can't agree with Dviglis, the op has apparently got some very serious issues with his chops and no amount of suggested excersises yep long tones are great for developing tone but this guy hasn't got a decent set of chops and he will only be practicing bad habits. Any suggestions we can make are worthless without him (a am assuming him) unless he goes to get some serious help from someone who can see him

This modern idea that we can resort to Web sites and videos to learn anything is just wrong and is certainly not what is needed here.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am stuck in the middle of a swamp and am surrounded by alligators - what do I do?

Well, it is obvious that the surrounding parameters are essential for any qualified answer. If you have a gun with one bullet, you may have an option that you didn't tell us about. If you have a very sharp knife, there may be yet another option. If you see a hunter with a rifle a mile or two away, should he just start shooting?

TrumpetMaster is not a search and rescue website, often it can be search and destroy.

Imaginethat has exactly one post at TrumpetMaster. What if that post is only designed to start a pissing contest? I say that Imaginethat OWES US some information before we get started on solutions!

Give us a little background:
    1) how old are you
    2) how long have you been playing
    3) what do you practice every day and how long?
    4) what scales can you play from memory?
    5) can you double tongue, triple tongue
    6) what books do you have for your trumpet lessons?

For a troublemaker, there are better websites than Trumpetmaster. For solutions we require a bit more cooperation. All the cheats that I have downloaded from the web have failed miserably in real life!

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Robin,
    #1. answer is there= last year freshman in high school, age would be anywhere from 13-14 or 25 if he had been sick. (See original post)
    2. answer is also in his post= just started last year.. Hope this helps. So my guess would be, a year?
    If you can tell that he is a troublemaker, you are more perceptive than I , and I'm surprised therefore you didn't pick up on the first two or three clues as well, his age and how long he's been playing. Also he indicated he can't even make it through an entire song in his marching band. So for #3, I'd say- not very long at all for practice time. for 5, he says, and I quote: "I can't even tongue" and that would answer the double and triple of the matter as well. SO no, he can't.
    He sounds like a youngster who needs some help, not a troublemaker, in my opinion. He needs a teacher in person, to get at the real problems, don't you think?

Cornyandy likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BigDub,
    there is a reason that I direct questions to a specific person - even if you or others think that they are already answered. The way the questions are answered give us far more info than the questions would lead to believe. Thanks now for answering questions that you were never asked and making it almost impossible to get behind this. I did read all of the posts up until mine before posting.

It is so easy to label a poster "young", "inexperienced" and in need of a teacher. While that may be true, typing it here for the 50 millionth time will not change a player not interested in practicing. There are also many "hit and run" types just looking for the download. Last time that I took measure, improvement was made possible by a cooperative effort, not by some beginner taking a dump on a teachers kitchen table. When I ask someone a question, I am interested in the way that THEY ANSWER. There are so many clues in language.............

I did not ask if emagine had a teacher (on purpose). I put the troublemaker part in there to see if there was even thought behind reading the responses.

If I had the choice, I would make the first 5 posts only public after review by a moderator - just to short circuit complete waste of time. After 5 posts, we more or less know if it will go somewhere.

Maybe I should just take another vacation.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No offense, Rowuk, but you did already take a LONG vacation and we got used to having to operate in your absence. While your approach may be right, I think your repsonse to BigDub was a bit snappish.
    Maybe you NEED another vacation.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Robin, Go ahead and attack me. I can take it. I just don't think a CHILD should have to be brow beat in such a way. I have a funny way about me, I don't like women and children being picked on by grown men, so I go into defend mode. If I'm wrong, my fault, as I said I can take it.

Peter McNeill likes this.