Trumpet HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by emaginethat, Aug 16, 2014.

1. emaginethat

emaginethat New Friend

Aug 14, 2014
    I love and thank you all for the support and good advice. (Sorry that I'm causing confusion. ^^') Well just to answer more of you all questions. I am 15. I first played trumpet when I was in 5th grade, but they took the band program out of my middle school. So I just started back my freshman year. About my embouchure, I play with like more of my top lip deep inside the mouthpiece and my bottom lip is kinda hanging below the rim but barely. I have also been told that I bury my mouth into the mouthpiece which is bad, but I never realize it lol. I adjust my lips in the mouthpiece frequently like I stated because my lips start to hurt. I have tried to play many ways, and sometimes I can get that clean trumpet sound, but my lips can never stay in that position when I'm playing songs. >.< Also maybe I can like post a video sometime next week or the week after. I'm waiting on my band director to start checking instruments out, and when that time comes I will be able to take my trumpet home.

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    AnoTHer site comes to mind.

3. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    emagine: i do not try to evaluate a poster's state of mind. i don't believe its really possible. if i answer, i take questions seriously and at face value. i sometimes try to answer questions from posters who appear to be young. i realize that is a hit or miss endeavor on my part. i'm ok with that, mostly.

it sounds like you're in over your head, not only in band, but probably on this website. that is why you are not making progress. you are basically a beginner playing in a high school band, which is not a recipe for success. i would say in fact that you are not giving yourself a chance to succeed, because you don't seem to have a realistic idea of what that might be.
    there are people who stay in band throughout high school without really trying to get anything out of it. i have never understood that, because there are lots of things that are more fun than sucking in band, especially at 15. so there is a lesson to be had here, if you're interested. i am not about to judge you if you are asking if there is a quick fix because you don't know any better. there isn't, and if you want to waste the next 3 years in band, its your life. if you do realize what you're asking, and you're serious about the answer, read on.

it sounds like you have very little foundation, so most, if not practically all, the time you spend on the horn is either spinning your wheels or actually going backwards. if you want to really find out if you can play the trumpet, first realize it is an personal journey, not a peer group thing. you will probably never learn to play simply sitting in the band and attempting to glean enough information to keep up. you sound genuinely frustrated, and generally in want of good information. i can't give you specifics, and i have no tricks for you, but i do have advice for you.

get a good teacher. i don't mind telling you that takes some luck. take a lesson every week. practice every day, what the teacher tells you to practice. you will have to accept the fact that you are not only a beginner, but a beginner with bad habits to unlearn. you will have to be willing to spend the time it will take, in the practice room, by yourself, to develop the proper fundamentals before you can get anything out of playing in band, let alone any recognition from your peers. if you are 15 now, it is not too late to do this, but you will not be screaming next year. there are many players i know who were just wasting time until somebody said something that clicked for them when they were young. of course they were talented. maybe you are too. you won't know until you give yourself a good chance to try.

playing the trumpet is not something you can learn by picking up a few pointers. very few things are, especially physical things. most bodies learn slowly, through thousands of repetitions. what i have told you is not anything special. its good advice if you want to learn anything, including the trumpet. i've given it quite a bit, and most of the time it was ignored until somebody said it at the right time, or said it better, and that's ok. if i say it at all, i'm holding up my end of the bargain. if after 50 lessons and about a thousand hours of practice, you can come back here next year and tell me that nothing has changed, i'd be very surprised. good luck.

4. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    You have the exact same problem that I had when I was new to trumpet playing. Here's what you need to do:
    1. Get your bottom lip inside the cup. You will probably still prefer keeping your bottom lip low, but as long as it's in the cup, it's fine.
    2. Stop using pressure-make a deliberate effort to not force the trumpet onto your face
    3. If your sound still isn't clean, check your free buzz and make sure you focus on getting a clean vibration that sounds more like a bee.

You will experience a MASSIVE setback initially in what range you did have. However, it's worth it in the long run- trust me. Your range should
    improve steadily if you make sure to actually develop your lip muscles and not use pressure. Talk to your
    director about these changes so that he knows what's going on. He should be happy in a few months when you will have improved your
    playing dramatically with consistent practice.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    So I just started back playing trumpet, which was last year (my freshman year in marching band) and I just long to get better.

Contact David Zuercher in Colorado Springs. (google him) He can give you some internet lessons (skype or other types)
    He has an amazing way of "fixing" a multitude of playing problems in a magnificently positive manner.

When I was trying to recover from some cancer treatment problems that affected my playing he helped me immensely.

I go and see him every summer now for a lesson (ten years now) when I am out there in July.

He is an Arnold Jacobs proponent.

The key phrase in your plea to me was "I just ong to get better." With this attitude you are already on the right track.

Best regards....

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I do not want to deter away from the buzz technique but, breathe control is just as big a player as your lip vibrations. Check to make sure you have a proper aperture (the opening in your embouchure). One analogy that I have heard used often is blowing on hot soup to form a proper aperture. Practice your buzz techniques but, make sure you do not lose that vital aperture.