Trumpet help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by emaginethat, Nov 21, 2014.

1. emaginethat

emaginethat New Friend

Aug 14, 2014
    I posted a while back and it was suggested that I get a teacher but after looking around for a trumpet teacher it's like really expensive. 30$ for a 30 min lesson I can not afford XD. Well anyway I'm a junior in high school and I play trumpet, I haven't played trumpet since middle school so basically I did not get to develop all the skills I need to learn. I'm working on my range, tonguing, and endurance but I feel like I am progressing very little. I can play a G above the staff, but I can't hold for like maybe more than 10 seconds & I suck when it comes to tonguing 8th & 16th notes. Anyway I recently got a new phone, so I think I can use the front cam to be able to do video lessons. So if there's any kind person out there who's willing to give me some tips, then leave me your skype, etc. Thankz!

2. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Good luck! I am in high school too.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hello,

The private lesson idea is probably the best advice you can get. Let me make a couple of suggestions if money is really, really tight. Do you have a community college or such around? Try seeing if one of the college students there might be willing to help. They are always looking to pick up a couple of dollars- and it gives them some experience with teaching.

Another possibility is to ask around some larger churches that might have brass players that help with services. Some of those guys are likely willing to help. I had a kid at my church ask for help and was glad to offer help without charge. Just some thoughts.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    in what area do you live?

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't read anywhere in here where you address working to pay for your lessons. When I was a high school junior like you, after school, I took a bus to a furniture factory where I worked - every day. When I was older and in college and also didn't have any spare money, I did yard work and external work on his house as payment to a trumpet professor to get lessons. And you . . . ?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A REAL first trumpeter makes things happen, the rest wait for someone else to fix what is wrong. Unfortunately it is really hard to get good with the wrong attitude.

There is tons of advice on daily practice here at Trumpetmaster. Most players that are serious develop a routine and can ask specific questions where they get stuck.

What you listed is the result of no plan. Search for "Circle of Breath" and start working on that first. It is easy, safe and works. After a couple of months you can ask some questions with hope of success.