Trumpet High Note Volume

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Oct 14, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mark, you won't be echoing me. I use the high rage (Gs above C up to double high C) a lot in my every day (non big band) playing, even on flugelhorn. It has it's place, but can add so much excitement and dynamic to the music. I ended a ballad the other day on the Bb below (1 whole step) double high C. It sounded like angels singing. The crowd just went Oh wow!

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm working on my Ab on the way to Double C. As for PFT's I think it keeps me open but I've not seen a bump. Maybe because they are pretty good anyway. Vertex meds on the other hand ... that's a bump.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A cure for G551D; a decent bump for del508/del508; not so much for del508/other.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just to clarify the octave, double A like double G is above double C. Octaves start with C. What you can "hit" is insignificant unless you are looking for a job as a teapot.

Your air is not moving "faster" up high. Your lips are opening and closing faster. That happens due to many factors. If you had to change speed of air with every note, scales and intervals would be tough!

My personal opinion is that range is only meaningful if you have musical content for it. Improving playing in the upper register requires serious habit building (hundreds to thousands of repetition). The re is no accepted general recipe for upper register. That has a lot to do with the baggage that every player brings to the table. You will get a lot of suggestions. Try them, don't expect much however. I have been teaching for almost 40 years and NEVER ran into anyone that got "better" over the internet.

I suggest you find someone playing how you would like to, and spend time with them. Duets, lessons or just hanging out. Your odds are millions of times better.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is the quote of the week!

There's a lot of good information that can be gleaned from the internet, so it depends on how that information is applied. In general though, there's a lot of truth to that - a player needs some kind of feedback in order to constructively apply information they take in, regardless of whether or not it's from a teacher or from reading something online, and for that, a teacher or mentor, or even just a fellow partner in crime becomes essential to that practical application. I have always found recordings of my playing to be wonderful tools to help me dial things in, but I've been at this game long enough that I can constructively assess and use the feedback I get from the recordings.

From a philosophical point of view, some of the most valuable lessons I've applied to my trumpet playing and being a musician in general came from drum clinics, FWIW.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There IS a lot of info on the net. There IS even more GARBAGE. Whether most can understand the actual intent of the good stuff is my point. At what stage of development do you start to understand that your posture and degree of "relaxedness" is THE deciding factor whether you can move forward or not.

ANY post on the web asking about upper register help shows that there is no chance of real help working. Those in the know read stuff, sort of understand what it is about and ask specific questions about the implementation. The nature of the question gives us valuable clues whether improvement is possible. The beginning of this thread unfortunately was only a request for a downloadable cheat. I know that the wrath of the indignant is coming my way, but any junior in high school that comes to a trumpet site and "brags" about range is really not worth the time to talk about range. Much better would be to talk about daily routine, body use and getting a life. The term Double A is actually insulting..........

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As usual, great points nicely made.

Your post reminds me of one day before concert band rehearsal at band camp (...and this one time, at band camp....) when some of the trumpet players (not me - I didn't have high chops above 2nd ledger C) were trying to outdo each other. Our clinician, a guy named Robert Mayes (Robert Mayes | Faculty and Staff | Moores School of Music - University of Houston) comes in and says, "You all sound like Massey Ferguson!" Some of the guys came back with, "you mean 'Maynard' Ferguson." To which Mr. Mayes replied, "No, I mean Massey Ferguson - you all sound like a tractor!" :D

You are absolutely correct though - there is a lot of garbage that has to be waded through, and a person has to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff before they can make good use of the information out there.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Don't oil the Massey Ferguson and it will squeal double As too - for a couple of minutes........

All of the really accomplished high schoolers really never talk about range, they have absolutely killer websites or youtube videos. Check out:

Roosevelt High School trumpet player chosen for all-star band | Soundposts | Seattle Times
    Northgate High School trumpet player is already a teen jazz great - Inside Bay Area
    Natalie Dungey
    Melissa Venema

There are countless more. Jazzy should not feel "put in his/her place". Jazzy should just get the idea that a trumpet forum is not the place to brag unless you are really HOT. The other lesson could be that coming prepared increases your chances of success.

9. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    First off I was in no way bragging by stating my current range (I posted it so that people who actually had the intention of helping me were given the most information possible) and I fail to understand how asking a question such as I did can be interpreted by someone as bragging. It actually made me chuckle seeing that someone as experienced as you are on this forum COMPLETELY misinterpreted my post as bragging and then turned it around in an attempt to sound superior. Don't get me wrong, I know you have experience, and I value your advice however stating that I'm bragging when in reality I'm just trying to be as informative as possible is a little bold if you ask me.

Regarding my phrase on "just to clarify octave": I apologize that I used the wrong word. The goal of that sentence was to clarify because had I said "high G" it could have been taken as G5, on top of the staff. Again, much like stating my current range, the sole goal of adding this piece of information to my post was to give as much of it as possible to those who were willing and dedicated to giving me a decent, helpful answer.

In response to one of your earlier posts, I do take lessons from a private instructor contrary to what you felt you knew. You may be a moderator but you don't need to act like you know everything about someones post before you actually do.

I was not looking to solely improve with range off of a trumpet forum (and for the record, I did not start the post off with "Hello I am the best trumpet player in the world, how can I add an octave in 10 minutes"). That's pointless. I take lessons with a very experienced player so I can go to him with this same question (and I have); I was looking for variety in answers and techniques on how to approach this, and the few actual tips amongst the "GARBAGE" that you had alluded to. I received what I had hoped by posting this forum, and to all who contributed; I am grateful.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Listen,

you are one of hundreds of young adults that talk about range as if it is a commodity. It isn't. You have made the same mistake in your response.

First of all, range to anyone teaching or playing professionally, is USABLE RANGE, not squeakables. Knowing the notes that you claim to be able to play, doesn't help anyone "help" you. We have no idea about your body use, breathing habits, synergy between brain/ear/embouchure, and to be honest, it is impossible to communicate these things over the net.

Because you did not mention musical content or usable range once, it is very easy to read what the problem is here - it is not range.

If our range stops at a specific note, it is always because of the same reason: too much pressure. We use pressure because it works and it is a cheap substitute for decent breathing and body use for school kids. The path away from pressure depends on how bad your breathing and body use really is -because without those things, no embouchure work can function.
    Anyone that simply recommends some exercize without taking in to consideration what you are currently doing wrong, is not helping. They simply give you more stuff to pile on top of what is wrong now.
    What bothers me about your original post and your response, is that there is plenty of indignance, but no reflection. Furthermore, what would help was the context of my posts - you were too busy being defensive because YOU felt some moderator was picking on you. That is also very common.......

What did I recommend talking about repeated, not clarified because it was clear the first time:
    Finding someone who can play like you would like to, and hanging with them.
    Finding musical content that needs range
    Posture and relaxedness
    Daily routine, body use and getting a life.

Your path to improvement is not going to be easy because you don't read to understand. That makes any concept difficult to present -exactly my point about the internet being hopeless for those that are more on transmit than receive.