Trumpet Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I was wondering if it would be okay to start a thread about trumpet horror stories? Nothing vulgar mind you just true accounts of those who have some bad stuff happen while playing, or bad things happening to horns. I have a couple but will wait for approval first.

2. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Ok. So I'll go first.
    My freshman year we went to state marching festival and the worst thing happend. Our school provided marching horns (Dynasty Quick Adjust Horns) and mine was the newest out of the bunch. Well...I was sitting at the top the stands and I was on the very edge awaiting our morning show scores still in uniform and with my horn. I didn't realize it but my fellow band mates where preparing to soak me with water. When they did I dropped my horn and it bounced off the ground and off the stands. It completely bented the bell to a L shape and ruined the casings. And my beautiful Hammond Design MP was totally ruined. Luckly I didn't have to pay for the damage because they didn't view it as my fault.

It sucked though.
    Enjoy

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    During marching band practice, our drum major was "high stepping" it and his suspenders broke and he lost his pants. The most embarrassing issue was...he was not wearing any underwear. Needless to say, the girls took "quick measurement" of the incident.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

Ah, yes, the old "Pendulous Kinesics", It's no secret, it's what creates the high step...every drum major goes without.:thumbsup:

5. mindstormer398

mindstormer398 New Friend

Mar 5, 2009
    Didn't see this in person, but I had a student teacher last year who told us a story from college marching band. Apparently he used a very high-pressure embouchure. He was screaming a double C during a practice run of the show and a t-bone backed into him. His mp almost completely sliced through his lip. Once it healed, his director made him completely rebuild his embouchure to have less pressure, but he's never regained all his range.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think I already related this, but OW. A week after I got my new Kanstul 1525 the phone rang as I was putting it away. After ringing off, I snatched up the case to shelve it and - well, the latches were still open.:-(

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My freshman year in HS...

My parents didn't want me to march with the Bach my sister bought me (1st "nice horn" ever) so they bought me another older one. (they got a kicking good deal on it, too!!) Anyway, I made the stupid mistake of putting it under/behind my feet so I could adjust something with my uniform. Well...something happened on the field during the game & everyone jumped up & started screaming. The band had to play of course so I quickly reached under the bleachers & grabbed my horn. (the bleachers weren't "open") When I tried to play I finally noticed that my bell was almost touching my tuning slide! I started crying like a baby!

We took it to the local repair god & he straightened it out. It played just fine & everything. So..."no harm no foul" right?!

Fast forward to my freshman year in college. We had a Saturday AM practice in the stadium before the game. (you know...the band can't practice on the football field because we might "tear it up") It was COLD that morning!!! Almost down to the single digits!! :shock: Our section leader (idiot #1) decided that after we warmed up we needed to run around the field to warm our bodies up. My face felt like crap so I decided to stay back & warm up on my own. He didn't like that at all & came back & physically picked me up & started running with me (horn in hand mind you). Well....he dropped me...(wait for it)...RIGHT ON MY TRUMPET!!! I was PISSED!!! :evil: He commenced to screaming at me telling me that I wasn't a "team player" because I didn't want to run around the field like an idiot. (RUN?!?! I'm in band for a REASON!!) I showed him my trumpet & he stopped yelling. He said he'd pay to get it fixed. I let him take it with him to the local shop to have the repair guy (idiot #2) fix it. I mentioned the previous damage & repair & that it probably couldn't be "fixed". Well...he had it done anyway & the horn played like CRAP!!!!

I ended up having it "repaired" again myself. That's where I got my Bach "72" from!! It started life as a 37/25, but now it's a 72/43 & MAN does that thing PLAY!!! :cool:

8. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    A few years ago my car broke down so I took my bike to jazz workshop.I put my Strad in my backpack without the case so It would fit.Half way there I went down on the bike and landed on my back Pack and crushed my horn.What a Dope!Not only did I crush my horn,but my teacher never showed up and class was cancelled.

9. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Rushtucky, that's hilarious!!!

10. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    In seventh grade this kid sat on a trumpets bell and when he stood up it was half flat and half round.