Trumpet Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Are you kidding me?!! I'm from Wyoming and anything above 10 degrees Fahrenheit is acceptable. The last COLD football game I went to, it was 25 degrees below zero (yes, Fahrenheit), and that was in October (given that it was in Laramie, the coldest town in the state). I was bundled up and was freezing (but very fortunate I had brought my plastic mouthpiece :thumbsup:), I was amazed at how the Cowboys were wearing short sleeve uniforms and were seemingly fine with it.

2. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Keep in mind that I went to college at The University of SOUTHERN Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS. That's COLD down there!

3. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Well dang, didn't take long for this one to gain popularity.:thumbsup:

#1 My Freshman year in High School in CT during my first marching band competition, no one told it's a good idea to keep ones mouthpiece in your pocket. I soon realized that at the right temperature your lips will in fact STICK to the mouthpiece.:thumbdown: I couldn't play for an entire week after that.

#2 While I was going through Naval Submarine School in CT I decided I would go check out one of my High School basketball games. I was so happy to see that the pep band (which I had started) was still playing for the games. Anyway me being me I just had to sit in for a couple tunes, next thing you know I'm shootin' for the "dubba G". Well I hit it, and hit it good, so good in fact I made my nose bleed. Blood all over me, the floor and all over this poor dudes trumpet. :oops:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I tend to forget how much temperatures are exaggerated when humidity comes into play :duh:. Wyoming doesn't have much for humidity, and given that there wasn't any wind that day either, 25 below zero was bearable.

5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    WHAT?!?! :shock: Maybe all that cold went to your head?!?! ROFL

SilverHorn likes this.
  6. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Many years ago, marching in a parade the band had to stop at the VIP platform and play a piece. Now to get the timing right we picked a march we all knew well so when we got there two loud blasts on the whistle to stop what we were playing and start playing the march we knew by heart so we didn't have to fumble changing music cards ( BUT ) my brain and fingers were on different planets , my brain had the right tune but my lips and fingers played an other march entirely , the worst was, half the band followed my lead and the other half stuck to the plan . When we finished playing the VIPs clapped and smiled politely with a look of confusion on their faces ( o0h the horror .

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a rennaissance gig in a german castle. It was COLD. The mouthpiece kind of froze onto my lips and ripped a piece of skin off. It was early in the (well payed) gig and the spit valve was dripping this red stuff after an hour or so.................... 3 weeks and cortison to patch back up.

8. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    Back in high school my buddy had just gotten a beautiful new Bach Strad. Friday night arrived and we had performed our halftime show and were heading back up into the stands. While going up the steps my buddy was just ahead of me and a majorette was ahead of him. As the majorette jogged up the steps the heel of her go-go boot caught the new Strad in the bell, putting a horrific crease in it. I can still see my buddy sitting in the stands with his head in his hands for the rest of the 2nd half, cussing majorettes and go-go boots!

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire

That sounds pretty nasty!

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

If he had been paying more attention to his new Strad, instead of the majorettes back side, the Strad would not have been creased and he would have ultimately been not so sad.

I guess that my age is showing again.

OLDLOU>>