Trumpet Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Well, maybe modern kids don't pay as much attention to that stuff then we older duffers used (still) do. Or, maybe he was in the right place, but at the wrong time.ROFL The central point to me it is inconceivable to take a Strad out marching. That's what those cheap ebay horns are for.
    PS. I have a concert double cd for you and Karen I'll get out soon.

2. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I know what that feels like. I can't help but to think about that happening to me every time I see the movie "Christmas Story" where the kid sticks his tongue to the frozen flag pole. Everyone laughs about that except me.

3. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    at a pep band performance at a basketball game, my friend went to empt his spit and his water key flew off and spit went over the bassbone players head rotfl!! he got his horn fixed the next day tho.

4. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama

yuck!!

5. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    You'd be surprised how forgiving temperatures are when there is a very low humidity and no wind.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    My buddy back in high school had a break between songs and 26 measures before his solo performance, he was nervous, and was worried about sticky valves, so he haste-fully opened his valves, oiled and screwed them back into the horn in time.
    He stood up, right next to me to play his solo, and, yup! his second valve was inside turned 180 degrees from where it was supposed to set!!!! You know how that sounds, I'm sure! So, all I could do was hand him my trumpet:-)

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    The same thing happened to Herbert L. Clarke in his first parade.

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Cheap ebay horns are for people who can't march.

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    We had this kid who thought he was top shelf stuff. Second set of a gig, he ran to the bathroom so the section put some cinamon oil on his mouthpiece. Should've seen the expression on his face about ten seconds into that solo. HAHA.

Same kid, another time: Put a piece of seran wrap around the third valve. Took him about half an hour to figure out the problem while the whole band was laughing.

Same kid, another time: put a cotton ball in the second valve bow bend. He sure had a fluffy sound!

Finally, the kid got the point that we didn't care for his attitude. Now he's a lot easier to deal with, and is thinking about becoming a instrument repair tech. HAHA.

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    In high school, my section leader let a clarinet girl touch his horn. 'Nough said.