Trumpet Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Lemme guess, that kid was 23 years old?

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    How does this one work? I would think that the plastic wrap would keep you from even reinserting the piston.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Or rather, how it doesn't sound. Way to step in and be a hero :bravo:

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Old Lou,

You probably sorted out of "right" reason the young man was upset as his friend commented: "I can still see my buddy sitting in the stands with his head in his hands for the rest of the 2nd half, cussing majorettes and go-go boots!"

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    He was a bit younger Bachstul, but close.

No operagost, seran wrap is actually thin enough to copletely wrap the valve and reinsert. It's a fun one you should try some time. Wrap it tight enough without any wrinkles and it's garunteed to confuse someone for at least half an hour.

6. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    Good thread :thumbsup:

You want a horror story? how's this:

It was Saturday marching band practice on the football field, either my sophomore or junior year of high school. I had just finished running a trumpet section practice and went up to the top row of the bleachers to take a break & hang out with some of my friends. I had just placed my prized LA Benge beside me on the bleacher. As I stood up, the horn fell... :shock:

I had a (very) brief moment of hope when the bell caught between the foot and back bleacher rails. I reached out, and just as my fingers were about to touch the bell, it slipped from the rails. In what seemed like slow-motion, it did a half-turn in the air and landed some 20 feet below directly on the 2nd valve slide.... OUCH!

A few weeks spent playing my old King student horn and a costly repair bill later, I finally had my baby back.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    I guess most of the horror stories related to high school/college mishaps. I don't have any of those but how about this: when I first left home to go on the road I ended up in a "territory band" in the midwestThis was a beginning gig in those post ww2 days and there were a lot of strange guys coming and going. One night on the bandstand I noticed that the lead trumpet player had blood all over his left hand, dripping on the music stgand and all over his horn. Alarmed, I asked what had happened. He said, calmly, that he had a pocket full of razor blades! Those were the days! Is this a horror story?

8. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    In 8th grade jazz band, during a solo section of some song we were playing in class, I decided to fake a golf swing with my Bundy. The swing was good enough that the 3rd valve slide shot out of the horn and skidded 20 feet before it hit the drum set. Not terribly wise at the time, I just shoved the slide back onto the horn, at which point it wouldn't slide out at all. It eventually got repaired.

Then my junior year of high school, 2nd day of class. . . at my very first marching band practice after moving to a new school, the receiver-to-bell z-brace completely fell off of my horn (the same trusty Bundy as above--who hasn't had this happen?). Since I was stuck without a horn for a time, and due to the lack of tuba players able to march (football, etc) I was offered a deal: I could be in the marching show if I could play tuba. Being the team player I am, I was a marching tuba player that season.

9. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah that would qualify as a horror story, but why in the world did he have a pocket full of razor blades??

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I forgot to mention that this all happened in the DEEP south. So single digit temps were frowned upon! :cool: