Trumpet Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I heard a story once about how Ryan Kisor was getting ready to go to a band event when he was still in school, sat his fairly new Bach Strad down in the driveway, it didn't get packed, and was subsequently backover by the car and completely ruined. Don't know if that one is true or not, but it's plausible.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Our band buses were running late getting us to an away game..
    Just as we were arriving a baritone flew off the top of a bus, smashed into traffic and was run over by a truck. Sheet music flew everywhere. The buses emptied as classmates scrambled to pick up all the pieces. Nobody was killed (amazingly since a hundred kids were running all over an interstate highway in the dark) but the baritone player marched during the halftime show carrying his perfectly flat baritone for all the world as if nothing had happened. In case he googles his name, this will be found in his search... TIM PEELER from East Rowan High School.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Actually, it was nearly ruined but he managed to play the entire show using alternate fingerings and some duct tape.

4. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    I haven't been playing very long so I don't have trumpet horror stories -- but I bet my neighbors do. Mostly centered around that knucklehead in the next apartment over who's just started playing the g/d trumpet fer chrissakes ... :D

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    well i have two stories, neither of which one might classify as horror stories, but still worthy enough to get sympathy.
    1. it was the third rehearsal for a pit, the show was les mis. there are a couple parts in it clling for picc but i had just bought my back philly C so i was just playing that instead of the picc. well they had the trumpets placed right next to the drumset, and beside te obvious reasons, this was not a good idea. my c trumpet was on its stand, right next to the set. unfortunately ths bass drum had the drum keys going all around the rim of the drum head. as i pulled up the C from the stand i heard a big BANG and with dismay saw a half dollar sized dent in the bell of my 2 week old trumpet due to those pesky drum keys. needless to say i managed to switch the order of the section around o i was the farthest way from the set. but wow i felt stupid.

2.this is more of a close call miracle. i was packing the car for a gig, and my phone rang. i went inside to check something and then came back outside, got in the car, and started backing up. well boy was i surprised when i felt the entire back of the car lift up onto something. so i put it in drive, went forward off of whatever it was and got out to look. turns out i had forgotten to put my trumpet in the trunk, and had inadvertently run over it. the upside of this story is that it was in my torpedo bag! this is a testament to their advertising, as it really CAN get run over by a car and be ok! that was still an unbelievably scary moment however.

8. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Wow you are lucky!

9. rgw4

rgw4 New Friend

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida, USA
    For anyone who dips, you already know...and nothing like finding a dead cockroach inside a valve.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]