Trumpet in a Band. Are we limited in what we can do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Oct 22, 2006.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I am not talking about Jazz Band or Classical here. Is our role in Rock, Progressive Rock, and Ska (not so much) limited by what a guitar/singers players fairly puny mind can imagine? (No offence meant). In Ska we get STINGS . Wooo I play da every once in a while. Rock we have no part and in progressive rock only some bands include us (though the parts are always amazingly cool when they are their). I have always been into breaking rules and doing theings a different way, but so far 3 guitar players have called my crazy when I asked them what they thought about starting a Prog Rock Jazz Jam thing. THey looked at me like I had 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000 mil heads and told me "Go play ska you idiot". Are tgey right am I crazy? Are they limiting us?

2. Dave

Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Why fight city hall? Play electric bass as a second instrument. Fills in the gaps so I can play music I happen to like where trumpet doesn't really have a home.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    If you are interested in new 'pop' music then you can't expect to play much.

If you explore older tunes there are 100's of great pop/rock/funk/motown charts that have cool trumpet parts.

5. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    To answer your question we have to put this in context. IMO, it is THEY who are limited. It is because they are so limited that not much else can fit into their worked up and half organized world of "noise". If one were to research and study the "music" and beats of primitive peoples in this world, they might find something of like kind and maybe even worth while to put into their same type of primitive "music". They could start an international intercultural exchange.......each type of people could dance to the same music from each group of people.

This is just my total objective opinion.:D

Liad Bar-EL

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I hate pop. I DESPISE it. Then again it's kinda weird to ask "hey man do you want to get rid of rules and just do some thing". Nobody wants to they all say they do but thet don't. I don't know. I am just a bit depressed. I mean we let violins (fiddles) into jazzband then they shoot us down. actually, jazz violin is amazing if you get a good creative player.

7. The_Lip

The_Lip Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2006
    Escondido, CA

Agreed. Two of my favorites over the years have been Stephan Grappelli & Jean-Luc Ponty.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The history of music repeats itself at the micro level as well. A pioneer discovers a new style, people settle it, it gets overloaded and so a new pioneer sets out. This is why horn bands start showing up in the later stages of a style. Rock had gotten good and established before it started getting filled up. Compare the simplicity of the early Beatles to Abbey Road, look at bands like the Moody Blues,Yes, and the Grateful Dead that started filling sound into every available space. By adding horns a band adds a powerful instrumental voice that adds percusive punch and sustaining power. By this time the style gets pretty crowded, and people move on. New Wave (polite Punk) didn't last very long after Oingo Boingo hit the scene, disco strings and horns got pretty boring pretty fast.

Of course your friends think you're crazy -- add horns, and you have to split the take eight ways instead of four!

9. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    True! I suppose it is a money thing. I like SKA it's just not my favorite. I don't know. I think I will go and try and aim for some sort of BItches Brew, In A Silent Way based thing. Both albums are arguably the best Jazz Fusion (Psychedelic?) albums. I will probably be able to find some one in the world, like my dad, who will do something like this.

10. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    A lot of ska bands have some really killer trumpet parts. As for rock and pop, trumpet isn't the main thing so much as it is an added color in the background of the singers. There's a reason that most rock and pop bands don't get started by trumpet players :D

Some genres just don't have a big place for certain instruments. How many concert bands have a guitar or a singer at all? I'm just glad that trumpet is as versatile as it is and can at least play a small part in so many different types of music.