Trumpet in a Band. Are we limited in what we can do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Dave

Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. Foxytrpt

Foxytrpt Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2006
    I guess it limits some players because most Rock/POP tunes are in the key of "E" or "A"..In my opinion, it shouldn't be a hindrance.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't see the limits. There are enough good examples of rock or rock/jazz groups with brass.
    I think it is tougher for most brass players to get started because of their dependency on written parts. Guitar, Bass and Drums get into jam sessions much earlier - actually long before they could even notate what they play. This "freedom" takes them places very early in ther careers that young brass players can only dream about.
    Maybe this post should serve as a call to brass educators to get our students jamming at a very early age instead of criticizing those rhythmn instrument players.................
    If a trumpet is not heavy metal, I don't know what is!

4. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I think you are right. For the most part all you need to know is a blues scale or two and then a jam tape (aebersold has some good ones). With this combo you can effectivly jam for hours unend. Actually I have done it on occasion. I is a amazing blur of energy. It gets everything out. You can walk around because their is no music to read. Relax and listen whenever and no one criticizes you. Actually I would consider a trumpet a jam instrument to tell you the truth. Sure you cant "doodle" as effectivly, but it is one of the best sounding jam(improv) instruments.

Same with sax... Though they are always trying to take the spot light (GRRRRRRRRRRRR)