Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am looking into purchasing a house. Does anyone have experience playing trumpet in a townhouses, specifically *not* a condo and *not* an apartment, a modern town house that is separated by two hour firewall and structurally decoupled. I have got by for years in apartments/condos with mutes and being, very respectful of what times I play, but in those places I could even hear my next door neighbors conversations, so I was very restricted. And of course I am also concerned about hearing my neighbors if they watch movies. So anyway would I be able to practice without a mute or is that a no go?:shhh:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Personally I think my Denis Wick is the best there is but seriously, would I be able to practice without it in a townhouse?

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I love my Silent Brass. Not the new version, mind you. the 7-7, not the 7-9. I think the electronics unit on the 9 isn't nearly as good as the version 7. I can play in my music room in the basement directly under our bedroom at 2am and my wifey will not hear a thing. For me it is better than a practice mute. There is something about hearing yourself through the electronics that makes it seem more realistic and less restrictive. But I would not practice exclusively in any practice mute.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    My neighbours don't seem to worry about running noisy lawnmowers/leaf blowers or revving up their cars/trucks/motorbikes in my street, so I don't usually think it is out of line to play trumpet so long as it's not too late at night.

(by the way, I don't live in a townhouse as such, but the quality of construction isn't that great and the distance to the next house is only about 12 feet)

--bumblebee

NOTE: I don't usually practice at home except weekends -- when the office crew have cleared off I get about 2-3 hours in the evening I can do what I want in our boardroom which is a nice big space with good acoustics and no neighbours at all to worry about.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Cornyandy likes this.
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Trumpeting in a modern townhouse completely depends on the building details .... There's a big trend towards more acoustically superior designs and materials and some of them are very heavily sound proofed, neighbor to neighbor, compared to years past. But, it depends on the actual building. If it's a recently built one, it's probably going to be better than ones of years past, which, frankly, sucked (the ones where you hear your neighbors' conversations).

Mutes are good, especially the Shhhhh mentioned above. You can also get by for a lot of practicing if you learn to practice at a low volume, without the mute. I've been working on this for the last 2 years, and I can now play very quietly ... quieter than my acoustic guitar. That kind of low volume practicing is good for your chops, I think, as long as you also practice other times at wide open volumes.

Also, it's a lot harder to get kicked out when you own the place. ;-)

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just bought a Yamaha practice mute with a built in mic with a digital sound plug in device with ear plugs. This is a great way to hear yourself loud and clear while the rest of the room will barely notice.

Additionally, if you have a townhouse with a load wall (concrete block), find the room that is against this wall, and use this for your practice room. If you want to go all out, you can re-do the dry wall with high end sound insulation. An initial investment up front, but may also save you in energy costs in the future. Heck, just the time you spend playing will generate more than a few BTU's.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It even says in a customer review it was great in a townhouse!

I have a silent brass that's okay.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do remember my uncle telling me to play "Long ago and far away"; but I would not take his advice. Stay in the townhouse!

10. Mr. J

Mr. J New Friend

Oct 9, 2012
    Sunny South floriDUH
    I have a single family, concrete block, but my son practices out on the back patio, and the neighbors haven't complained yet...If it's a 2 story, play downstairs, as most attics in townhouses run the entire length of the whole building as the firewall usually doesn't crown up to the roof joist. Go to the outside room, furthest away from the firewall and you should be fine. Bring your horn with you, and tell them, you want to see if the acoustics are conducive. Belt out a few practice runs and see if it suits your needs. You never know, your new neighbors may ask for you to throw the windows open when you play!

One of the biggest amplifiers is a hollow door. You could always hang a solid panel door in place of the hollow door. That will usually make a big impact for cutting back the volume as well. Good luck with the purchase!